Low Gravity, NEED HELP.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adacaro

Aquarium Advice Activist
My gravity is 1019. I have been putting a mixture of salt with RO water lots of salt my gravity is the same does not go up I have a 72 gal tank I am afraid to keep on putting in salt . My hydrometer keeps on reading 1019 WHAT CAN I DO, if it should read 1920 to 1023 please help.......

you might want to get a new hydrometer, if you are adding salt it should definately be going up.

Jim

Is it one of those box type hydrometers? Let it soak in some vinger for an hour and try it again. Make sure you tap on the hydrometer in case bubbles are skewing the reading. Make up some replacement water and test it. Adding salt will raise the salinity. If none of the above works you need to get another hydrometer.

I would definitely check your hydrometer. I had the same problem with a floating type hydrometer when I purchased a new hydrometer my sp was 1.035. Scary moments for me.

Not an emergency at .019. Better to check the hydrometer than raise the spg too fast or to high. That would be more harmful to your fish.
One thing you could do is take the hydrometer to your LFS and check it on their tanks. They should know the levels in their system.
If you can swing it, you should consider a refractometer. Much more accurate and most can be calibrated and adjusted.
Cheers

Let me second quarryshark on the refractometer. I felt very insecure about my SG readings when I was trying to use the hydrometer--I just didn't feel like I could trust it. The refract's a sure deal every time. Mine has stayed perfectly calibrated for 2 months now. Just make sure you get one with ATC--automatic temperature compensation.

I have 3 hydrometers and all of them read something different. I would not add anymore salt till you get it figured out.

a refractometer is probibly in order.

I just bought another hydrometer and it reads the same, what can that range of water do to my fish. I am due for a water change on sunday can I just add more salt to the mixture or will that harm my fish

don't do anything to drastic before you purchase a refractometer. If two hydrometers are reading the same. chances are its pretty close.

what brand of salt are you using?

1.019 is not harmful per say, but your corals will be happier at say 1.024 to 1.025, however don't make any changes until you get your levels verified. How much were you adding at one time to try and get the level to come up?

I was adding half a cup of salt to 4cups of water

That's quite a bit but in a 75 gal it's not much. AFTER checking your sg meter or getting a refractometer it would be safe to add salt so that the level does not exceed a .001 rise in a 24 hr period, preferablly drip method.

I am going make a water change on sunday can I put more salt than usual or will that kill my fish

Back
Top Bottom