Micro bubbles from Filstar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've added a Filstar XP3 - and I seem to be getting a small amount of bubbles out of it. All the connections are tight, the filter is primed correctly, no hoses are kinked, I've cleaned the filter media thoroughly, but every so often it'll puff out a bunch of micro-bubbles. Its been running for over a month now (two cleanings).

Anyone else run into this problem?

Otherwise, for a $100 filter, it does a great job polishing the water, and doesn't make a huge mess when I clean it.

That will happen with my fluvial. Every onece in a while (definitely after cleaning) it will do this.

Not a real problem unless you dont like the look of it. My return line from my fuge does the same thing every once in a while

I have the XP3 as well and have the same problem. Mine has been up for two years now so I think it's probably past the "break in" period :)
I've looked at it and tried to figure out where the bubbles are coming from. In my case, the water coming from the tank "splashes" and makes all kinds of bubbles when it enters into the canister (use a flashlight to look into the sides). I think these bubbles work their way in between the media baskets and slowly build up until there are enough and then escape back into the tank.
I've tried putting floss between the top basket and canister wall to prevent all the splashing but that didn't help either.

Good luck and let me know if you find a solution.

I remember now from back when I was looking into the problem...

Some people said they had success by making the holes larger in the spraybar, something about too much back pressure. I don't use the spraybar but I opened the single nozzle larger anyway. That didn't help either.
Also, I believe they said too much media in the baskets will cause it as well. I removed everything but 2 of the foam pads and it still had the bubble problem.
I even emailed the company but never heard from them.

Now, I just put up with it and unplug it when we are going to have company. :roll:

Also looking forward to the day when I have enough LR that I can just toss the hunk-a-junk.

Backpressure seemed to be involved. I shortened the drain hose to the unit as short as possible, and it cleared right up.

Back
Top Bottom