Moorish Idol 4.... Just kidding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
All kidding aside, my local LFS has a moorish idol as we speak, in a 60 gal or so tank. I was kinda shocked when I spotted this thing cruising around in real life.

No, I am not going to buy it, but I do have a question.... do moorish Idols "chomp" like they are chewing gum really fast? This one was... I wondered if it wasn't just a stress type of thing.

Well I hope someone with a 300+ gal tank buys him anyway.

It is sad to see them knowing of there poor survival record. I overheard the lady who orders fish at my work saying "we should order some moorish idols, we haven't had them in a while" Kinda sad knowing that they are pretty much doomed from day one.

Yeah they should not be allowed to e sold. Does anyone know of one that has lived in a home aquaria for a long time?

There was a thread on RC a while back about who has had one the longest, can't remember what the longest time was?

a contest to see who has kept theirs the longest? If you know its a fish with high mortality, then why would you even try? Its sad.

There is a guy here in the pittsburgh PA area who is trying to breed them believe it or not. He has a 300 gallon Tank just for 2 of them. He has been trying now for about 2 yrs. I only know this cause I ran into him buying a 90 gallon "brood tank" as he called it. I got talking to him and he was explaing to me that he has them giving him eggs but he is not sure the male is fertalizing them etc... Anyway this is in no way an indorsement of buying them or anything I am just answering the question does anyone know anyone with some success. For the record I know 3 others who have tried and failed miserably with them. Real pretty fish though.

Doan

Has the demand for the fish come about because of Finding Nemo? or has there always been a demand for this fish?

If one wants a similar fish, why not a heni butterfly. I know they are not as majestic, but do much better. I had a little trouble finding healthy ones, but the 2 I have now are doing great and by far are the friendliest fish I have.
After you get them through qt, they are easy to care for, eat anything (love to eat out of my hand) and can live a long time. They require a decent size system, but don't need a 300 gallon.
My kids wanted a "Gill" and these fish were the compromise.
Walk into the room and they are the first to greet you. Like a couple of little puppies. :)

Back
Top Bottom