Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheIrishJedi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a complete newb to aquariums. I just bought my first 10ga tank to introduce me to the hobby. What I really want to get into is SW reefs, but wanted to master freshwater first, which I understand is easiest (cheaper to screw up too). By July I'd like to switch over to SW.

Anyway, in November I'll be moving (probably :| ). While it is not a huge concern at the moment, I don't want to spend all sorts of money establishing a tank that I cannot move.

Should I just wait or is it possible to move corals and whatnot around without killing it?

You'll be seeing more of me around as I learn and grow in the hobby. So I thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Your best bet is to just wait until the move. You don't want to start a tank, start to stock it about 2 months before the move. Then, have to drain the water, remove the livestock, the rocks, move it all, and reset it all up. Save yoursefl and the fish some stress and hold on. This will give you more time to figure out how to keep saltwater tanks, especialy a nano. (if you are going to use the 10g)

But, as you said, your move is not for sure yet. So, you could get it going, and if you do have to move, you could bag the corals, and fish or whatever you have in there and move them. How far of a move are you talking here? If it is just in the same town/city, it can very easily be done. If it is an exteneded move, you might want to consider the possibility of waiting it out, until you get situated.

Your best bet is to just wait until the move. You don't want to start a tank, start to stock it about 2 months before the move. Then, have to drain the water, remove the livestock, the rocks, move it all, and reset it all up. Save yoursefl and the fish some stress and hold on. This will give you more time to figure out how to keep saltwater tanks, especialy a nano. (if you are going to use the 10g)

But, as you said, your move is not for sure yet. So, you could get it going, and if you do have to move, you could bag the corals, and fish or whatever you have in there and move them. How far of a move are you talking here? If it is just in the same town/city, it can very easily be done. If it is an exteneded move, you might want to consider the possibility of waiting it out, until you get situated.

It is a local move.

The 10g is just what I bought to fiddle with. If I get really into it, I'll probably buy a 50-70ga tank.

it can very easily be done

That's encouraging to hear.

"If I get really into it" hahaha, that literaly made me LOL!! Once you start, there is no turning back. Just face the fact that you ARE getting a 50-70g tank. The bigger they are, the easier they are to look after. A 50-75 is a good starting point, unless you have the money to go bigger. Just consider the 10g your first purchase towards the salty, as your QT tank. Welcome to the hobby/way of life. Any questions, feel free to ask. There is a wealth of information in this forum.

"If I get really into it" hahaha, that literaly made me LOL!! Once you start, there is no turning back. Just face the fact that you ARE getting a 50-70g tank. The bigger they are, the easier they are to look after. A 50-75 is a good starting point, unless you have the money to go bigger. Just consider the 10g your first purchase towards the salty, as your QT tank. Welcome to the hobby/way of life. Any questions, feel free to ask. There is a wealth of information in this forum.

Looking at the cost, it is going to compete hardily with my firearms collecting. :2gunfire:I can't decide what I want more, that Swiss K-31 and Remington 700 SPS or a Saltwater tank. Decisions must be made. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom