Mushroom coral acting VERY VERY WEIRD !!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
(Sorry for long loading time)

Hi, look at this mushroom coral... It usually looks like this...

230201IMG1537.jpg

Now he lost a bit of color, and usually look healty... He's always open when there's light... But this is the second time I see him do this... He did that there's 6 months.... And now it do it again !!

469756IMG2945.jpg

589382IMG2947.jpg

529959IMG2946.jpg

Do you guys have any idea of what kind of thing this is ???? Internal organs !?!

Is this a mushroom ? I really don't understand. Everything looks healty in the tank.

Temp: 26.3C°
PH: 8.2
Alk: 8 dKH°
Ca: 450ppm
Mg: Boosted at 1650ppm for fighting GHA.
No3: <0.05 ppm
PO4: <0.03ppm

I think if you resized these pictures to a reasonable size, they would load faster ;)
I don't feel like waiting for them to load, but if it's a bunch of curly Q string-like things, it's expelling it's guts. Not happy at the moment IME. How is the Bryopsis doing with the elevated mag?

I think if you resized these pictures to a reasonable size, they would load faster ;)
I don't feel like waiting for them to load, but if it's a bunch of curly Q string-like things, it's expelling it's guts. Not happy at the moment IME. How is the Bryopsis doing with the elevated mag?

Not so much improvement, but I can see the GHA reducing (less worse) on my pagoda dead part. Also some spots of GHA detach slowly, so I have to daily check my protein skimmer so it doesn't flood on the floor. (Sometime the exit clug, and the water level increase in it, and it's an HOB PS).

I used Kent Tech-M as you recommanded.

So what this mush is doing is a bad sign ? I have a lot of mush, differents species, and none of them did that.

Can it be because I feed it often?

What are you feeding? I would just feed the fish. There's no need for any sort of food in the water column for corals. What you feed the fish is plenty to feed the entire tank.
Yes, what that mushroom is doing is not something you want to see. It's odd that it's only the one mushroom though.

What are you feeding? I would just feed the fish. There's no need for any sort of food in the water column for corals. What you feed the fish is plenty to feed the entire tank.
Yes, what that mushroom is doing is not something you want to see. It's odd that it's only the one mushroom though.

I'm target feeding my LPS with Reef-Roids powder. I have two duncans, for a total of >15 polyps... three head torch, two head frogspawn... some SPS, and an acan... This is only a 20g, and I only have two clowns to feed...

I also recently purchased a kind of LPS that look like a SPS (yesterday), I don't know what species it is, also I forgot it in a dip solution of iodine for 40 mins instead 10 mins... It is still closed, but think it will open with the lights in few hours... (Lights from 7PM to 3 AM today).

When you are fighting algae, I think that the Kent route can help...but when you are feeding your corals it turns into being counter productive. This is one of the biggest causes of algae issues. Can these foods be helpful? I think they can to someone who is experienced with them and has great filtration on their systems. But when it comes to the average joe, this to include myself for the record, we end up doing more harm than good.

When you are fighting algae, I think that the Kent route can help...but when you are feeding your corals it turns into being counter productive. This is one of the biggest causes of algae issues. Can these foods be helpful? I think they can to someone who is experienced with them and has great filtration on their systems. But when it comes to the average joe, this to include myself for the record, we end up doing more harm than good.

I don't know.. I have a lot of knowledge, but in terme of experience, this will only do only 1 year I'm a reefer. I'm doing FW planted tanks for >3 years, with CO2 injection, ferts dosing, and powerfull lighting, achieved the goal of incrediblengly fast growing plants with 50%WC /2 months.

But for reefs, that's another story, the lights are WAY MORE powerfull !!!!
2x39W T5HO on the 29g, 60w LEDS on the 20g... IMO that's 3 times my FW lights...

For algea, I'm running GFO, I just changed the GFO, the carbon too, I put the GFO mixed with carbon in the filter (I heard it's more efficient because the GFO doesnt lumps (is "lumps" the best eng word for packed? hmmm.. sorry can't translate).

NO3 PO4 still testing zero, dosing a very little of NOPOX 0.5ml/day.

Running a 90g HOB protein skimmer on the 20g...

Trying to manually remove the most possible, siphoning the sand, removing the GHA from the sand, feeding less the fishs, reduced the corals feeding schedule...

This GHA story all started right after I've bleached my live rocks for hydroids problems. I cured them for 1.5 months, put them back to the tank, and BANG, 1 week after, LOOOOTTTTT of GHA. Also brown thing is growing on the rocks (don't think it's diatoms, it's hard to remove, and doesn't grow on sand or glasses).

I'll take some pics later when the lights turn ON, in 4-5 hours.

I would stop the reef roids powder. The LPS isn't really using it anyway. LPS eat meaty foods. Whole mysis shrimp would be a better choice, but in your situation, feeding the clowns is plenty.

Anyways, I already got the stuff, I'll keep feed them that, but only when my GHA all dissapear. Do you have a bit of GHA in your tank ?

Back
Top Bottom