naso tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a Naso tang for Valentines from my kids unfortuntally they didn't make sure he was eating. I have tried seaweed by ocean nutrition red brown and green, brine, myis shrimp, and garlic so far he isn't eating. He picks at the rocks and swims freely so I don't think he is stressed that much. No hidding. I am really concerned. I have had him 3 days. PLEASE HELP!:confused:

not what you ant to hear, but you could be doomed. keep trying and hope for the best

It's only been 3 days, I've had fish go over a week (I'd worry if approaching 2 weeks). Stop the rotation of food and stick to live brine shrimp to entice him to a single item it will recognize as a "feeding" along with clipping Nori to glass. Once it begins feeding regularly stick to Nori and foods with herbivorous nutrition. Herbivorous fish will still consume meaty items, but I wouldn't make it a primary.

Try putting him in a QT and giving him more attention. Try feeding him different things in the QT. Or he might just be getting use to your tank because that is how my Yellow Tang did I have had him for about a month now and he just started eating in front of me.

I agree with Innovator. 3 days is not much time. Just add new Nori every day (removing any leftovers).

BTW, I only feed my tank twice a week and have gone away for a week and left the tank unfed.

Most fish can easily go 10 days without eating. As yours is picking at the rock, it is eating. Just give it time to recognize the nori and all will be fine.

I am tagging along for the ride because I too am interesting in getting a Naso Tang. Need to know all about them....:wave:
Please keep us updated...

I also agree with Innovator. 3 days in not that long. He`ll start eating soon.

Thank you for that link. For a minute I thought they where from Hawaii I was about to go out and get one before they are no longer.... Glad they are from Indonesia...

Too fast to have one in less than a 125G tank. Hope yours is bigger than that.

Someone in this thread thinking about putting one in a 55g???? Pls don't.

mwilliams - do you have a QT tank?

I have a 42hex saltwater tank just sitting there for now nothing in it except for Sand (live) and LR. I just did a very major water change in that tank cleaned the walls because they where horrible looking all brown and that was about 2 wks ago. Yes I do have a 55gal for now I was just thinking if I got a very small one about 2in that he would be okay till I can get my bigger tank but now that you said they grow fast he will have to wait till then. I am going for a 180gal. slowley buying my supplies for that tank. Just picked up a used PM-R36 sump/refug for $175 and getting a (used) 72" Nova Extreme Pro it is on somewhat layaway plan.

I'm really not sure how fast they grow to tell you the truth. I've just seen them get very large and the thought of a naso in such a small tank gave me the "willies".

Believe me, all it takes is one sick fish added to an established tank that kills others and is VERY hard to catch and treat with all the rocks in there to make you wish you employed QTing new arrivals. Others can profess to some degree of luck only when they say they've fully stocked a tank and had no ick or marine velvet, or other cummunicable disease break out.

Good luck.

I am not the originator for this post I was just tagging along because I have been very interested in getting a Naso Tang so I do not know what size tank tmkx3 has.

I can use the 42gal hex tank as the QT with no problem there is not to many rocks in there.. I had been using it to treat the Desjardin for Hole in the head and he had been in there for well over 3 months and now I finally moved him back to the DT that is why I did the major cleaning of that tank.
I could put one in there a little 2-3" one till I get the big tank and that way he will have been in QT for till I get the tank within the next 3 to 4 wks....

He is eating enough algae to keep him going for now, once he is settled and hungry he will eat. I would stick with the red nori sheets.

My convict tang took about 4 days to start eating, and it was just nibbles. Within a week he was eating regularly. My regal tang started eating day two.

Back
Top Bottom