Naso Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, everyone

I am getting ready to upgrade my reef tank in the next couple months. So far the plan is to get a custom built aquarium. Tank will be 5ft long, 18 inches deep and 18-20 inches high.

I have been pretty intrigued by a Blond Naso Tang. However, I have not done enough research yet.

If you have a Naso how big is your tank? I wonder if one can be kept in a 5ft long tank. Thanks.

Your going to have a hard time keeping a Naso in that sized tank, these guys get big, attaining a size of well over 1 foot! They really are a beautiful fish though...

At 5'x18"x20" you are barely over 90 gallons. Naso Tangs get big and are best kept in 180 or larger. I had one years ago in a 300g and it still looked big in that. Minimally, I would go 6x2x2 if doing custom.

I scratched the idea. Gonna go with a Tomini or Yellow Eye when ready instead. Not ready for 125+ gallon tank yet. Thanks everyone.

If you can Dow 90, you can do a 125! Unless it is about the spot in your home. But maintenance wise it would be the same.

If you can Dow 90, you can do a 125! Unless it is about the spot in your home. But maintenance wise it would be the same.

Agree with this!!! Do the 125 and you won't regret it. If space is not and issue you will get a lot more options with the 125. We have a 90 and 125 beside each other.

Thanks. I personally do maintenance on my aquariums and I find it more difficult to deal with anything over 20" high. so that right there affects the water volume. I went from a 20" high 27 gal cube to 16" high 40 gallon breeder and boy what a difference.

My main goal is to have enough room for rock work (18" min depth) and enough room for a bristle tooth tang. Only other tang I like is Purple Tang but I hear they can be mean and require lots of swimming space.

Also, I want to have a nice reef with not much fish. With type of corals I buy I run out of space quickly. Look at photo below. I purchased a couple decent sized corals and pretty much maxed out right then and there. So disappointing. I wish I had done 75 gallons.

image-3267376421.jpg

LFS has a Tomini Tang for sale. It's been there for 3-4 weeks now. Poor guy is in a tank with several foxfaces and yellow tang. His color is completely faded. There is no LR for him to graze on. Bottom line: poor little guy.

I wanted to buy him as a rescue to hold him in 40 breeder till the upgrade in July but decided against it. Just couldn't see a tangs in my tank although a lot of people QT them in tanks as small as 10 gallons for months.

Hope he finds a good home.

Space is an issue. Already have 2 dogs and fish. GF thinks our home is becoming a zoo and I don't blame her. So trying to keep it reasonable.

Maintenance for the tangs or tank? And here's a print out for tangs....

Surgeonfish (tangs) are easily one of the more popular and recognizable marine fish. Most tangs are primarily herbivorous, roaming the open coastal reef while browsing for vegetation. These very active swimmers cover huge expanses of the reef while feeding.

Many species of tang adapt readily to aquarium life, and can safely be added to a a reef tank. The goal of a responsible aquarist is to provide the optimum environment for the inhabitants of our piece of the ocean. While an optimum environment may never be achieved, the Team RC community has compiled a list of minimum aquarium sizes for the various species of tangs commonly offered to aquarists.

These recommendations are based on the experiences of a myriad of aquarists, both real-life experiences and through observation in the ocean. They are based on the goal of providing an environment that matches the active nature, feeding regimens and growth rates of the tang. If this goal is met, the reward to the aquarist (and more importantly the fish) is long-term health and beauty in the tank.

It must be remembered that tank size is only one factor in the equation. It should be a "given" that the tank provides adequate mature rockwork for grazing, aquascaping that provides both hiding/resting spaces and allows for straight-line swimming in open water, and tank mates that are compatible.

Min Volume
Min Length
Species
Common Name
(gallons)
(feet)
Acanthurus achilles1
Achilles Surgeonfish
Acanthurus coeruleus
Atlantic Blue Tang
Acanthurus japonicus
Powder Brown Tang
Acanthurus leucosternon2
Powder Blue Tang
Acanthurus lineatus2
Lined or Clown Surgeonfish
Acanthurus nigricans
Whitecheek Surgeonfish
Acanthurus olivaceus
Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish
Acanthurus pyroferus
Mimic Surgeonfish
Acanthurus sohal2
Sohal Surgeonfish
Acanthurus triostegus
Convict Surgeonfish
Acanthurus tristis
Indian Mimic Surgeonfish
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis
Chevron Tang
Ctenochaetus striatus
Striated Bristletooth Tang
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Kole's Tang
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Tomini Tang
Naso brevirostris
Spotted Unicornfish
Naso lituratus
Orangespine Unicornfish or Naso Tang
Naso unicornis
Bluespine Unicornfish
Naso vlamingii
Vlamingi Tang
Paracanthurus hepatus3
Pacific Blue or Regal or Hippo Tang
Zebrasoma desjardinii
Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang
Zebrasoma flavescens
Yellow Tang
Zebrasoma scopas
Brown Tang
Zebrasoma veliferum
Sailfin Tang
Zebrasoma xanthurum2
Purple Tang

1 The Achilles Surgeonfish requires a very high flow level, and can pose even more health and feeding problems than other tangs.
2 These species can be exceptionally aggressive, and require careful planning.
3 These species are especially prone to infections, and should be watched very carefully in quarantine.[

Maintenance for the tangs or tank? And here's a print out for tangs....

Surgeonfish (tangs) are easily one of the more popular and recognizable marine fish. Most tangs are primarily herbivorous, roaming the open coastal reef while browsing for vegetation. These very active swimmers cover huge expanses of the reef while feeding.

Many species of tang adapt readily to aquarium life, and can safely be added to a a reef tank. The goal of a responsible aquarist is to provide the optimum environment for the inhabitants of our piece of the ocean. While an optimum environment may never be achieved, the Team RC community has compiled a list of minimum aquarium sizes for the various species of tangs commonly offered to aquarists.

These recommendations are based on the experiences of a myriad of aquarists, both real-life experiences and through observation in the ocean. They are based on the goal of providing an environment that matches the active nature, feeding regimens and growth rates of the tang. If this goal is met, the reward to the aquarist (and more importantly the fish) is long-term health and beauty in the tank.

It must be remembered that tank size is only one factor in the equation. It should be a "given" that the tank provides adequate mature rockwork for grazing, aquascaping that provides both hiding/resting spaces and allows for straight-line swimming in open water, and tank mates that are compatible.

Min Volume
Min Length
Species
Common Name
(gallons)
(feet)
Acanthurus achilles1
Achilles Surgeonfish
Acanthurus coeruleus
Atlantic Blue Tang
Acanthurus japonicus
Powder Brown Tang
Acanthurus leucosternon2
Powder Blue Tang
Acanthurus lineatus2
Lined or Clown Surgeonfish
Acanthurus nigricans
Whitecheek Surgeonfish
Acanthurus olivaceus
Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish
Acanthurus pyroferus
Mimic Surgeonfish
Acanthurus sohal2
Sohal Surgeonfish
Acanthurus triostegus
Convict Surgeonfish
Acanthurus tristis
Indian Mimic Surgeonfish
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis
Chevron Tang
Ctenochaetus striatus
Striated Bristletooth Tang
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Kole's Tang
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Tomini Tang
Naso brevirostris
Spotted Unicornfish
Naso lituratus
Orangespine Unicornfish or Naso Tang
Naso unicornis
Bluespine Unicornfish
Naso vlamingii
Vlamingi Tang
Paracanthurus hepatus3
Pacific Blue or Regal or Hippo Tang
Zebrasoma desjardinii
Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang
Zebrasoma flavescens
Yellow Tang
Zebrasoma scopas
Brown Tang
Zebrasoma veliferum
Sailfin Tang
Zebrasoma xanthurum2
Purple Tang

1 The Achilles Surgeonfish requires a very high flow level, and can pose even more health and feeding problems than other tangs.
2 These species can be exceptionally aggressive, and require careful planning.
3 These species are especially prone to infections, and should be watched very carefully in quarantine.[

Thanks. Meant your tank. Maintenance routine and such.

LFS has a Tomini Tang for sale. It's been there for 3-4 weeks now. Poor guy is in a tank with several foxfaces and yellow tang. His color is completely faded. There is no LR for him to graze on. Bottom line: poor little guy.

I wanted to buy him as a rescue to hold him in 40 breeder till the upgrade in July but decided against it. Just couldn't see a tangs in my tank although a lot of people QT them in tanks as small as 10 gallons for months.

Hope he finds a good home.

Believe or not this Tomini Tang was still at the fish store. I felt bad so I brought him home. He had been there too long in terrible environment. A classified ad has been posted so please check it out. Small re-homing fee applies.

image-6179771.jpg

Attachments

• image-3767313110.jpg
    image-3767313110.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 171
Back
Top Bottom