New clown died...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got him at petco exactly a week ago from today and he died. He seemed to have an internal parasite I noticed today. He had stringy white poop and today was floating around and trying to swim but couldnt until he died...I keep forgetting never to get fish at petco. First clown from their is OK though.

This stresses the importance of a qt tank more than not buying from stores like petco. There might have been hope if he was treated.

Out of curiosity, how big it your tank? You said there was a clown in there already?

my 2 clowns from petco have been going on 2 month now and doing great maybe just got lucky and picked me some good ones. But def. true about petco, i found a real LFS a little farther and doesnt even compare

It's a 12g, I know they shouldn't be in there but they were small when I got them there about 1/2" and and 1" and plan to move them out when they get to big and find them a better home. For now they are doing great

Ok, so aside from the fact that we identified the tank being too small for one clown...adding a third into a tank where you already had 2 in there. Even if it had an infection, I would put money that the other clowns killed the new guy. You are currently lucky those 2 clowns haven't turned on each other yet, but might be just a matter of time.

Sniper, the person with the 2 clowns in the 12 isn't the one who had the death, the op didn't respond with a tank size yet :). The clowns in the 12g are doing well.

Well crap. Im at work and not paying that close of attention apparently. Though reflecting on the original post it is still possible adding another clown where one already set up its territory could have effected things...dont know if they were even the same type of clown.

Still, qt tanks save fish. They also prevent the entire system from being overwhelmed by disease and parasites. A lesson for all of us, especially me who does not have a qt.

I've Purchased a clarkii scooter blenny and a firefish goby from petco and all the fish are healthy and energetic. Maybe it's the petco you went to.

Ok, so aside from the fact that we identified the tank being too small for one clown...adding a third into a tank where you already had 2 in there. Even if it had an infection, I would put money that the other clowns killed the new guy. You are currently lucky those 2 clowns haven't turned on each other yet, but might be just a matter of time.

Lol that got confusing. I have a 30 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom