New to this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Italy592

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Now I have had freshwater tanks for over 5 years now and absolutely love it but now I want a saltwater tank. I look on here and see how a lot of people have them and know a lot about Saltwater tanks !!! So my question's are basic what do start with, what do I need to consider I need MAJOR help with this and I know a lot of you know what you are talking about!!! So please comment on all you can it would greatly appreciated !!!

I want to start like a 75 gallon tank, and be a reef ! So where do I go from here !?

Be prepared... Once you go saltwater you will ditch all of your freshwater tanks and never go back. Lol

I'd start obviously by getting yourself a tank...since you have others telling you to hit up craigslist or whatever should go unsaid.

You will need to figure out filtration first. Unlike fresh, saltwater does not rely on mechanical filtration alone, especially since you want to go reef. You will want a sump setup to go along with your tank. This setup will need to be able to hold a refugium at some point. You can either get yourself a drilled tank, build in overflow, or a HOB overflow.

The main filtration in a saltwater system comes from the rock and sand and the bacteria that grows on it. For sand, I would recommend an agrigate based sand. Dr. Foster and Smith's site has lots of options on their site regarding sand. This will help you balance your pH. As for rock, there are lots of places online you can look. You can get yourself macro rock to save some money, but I would recommend getting some live rock to help you seed this. There are some great prices from sites like saltwaterfish.com in terms of LR, and this is where I order mine from.

Focus on getting your tank and a smaller tank, like maybe a 40 gal breeder or a long tank for this if you are going to make your own. Then research live/macro rock and sand. Once this is set and established, you get to research livestock and what you will want your "must have" fish or coral is going to be. You will then research the rest of your livestock making sure that it is compatible with your "must have" critter.

Do you have a LFS that stocks or deals with saltwater only? That is a good place to start. Sometimes they have tanks and lighting as well. Go check out some fish, coral and inverts and see what u like. Once you have an idea what you want to put in a tank, go over with someone you trust as some fish and inverts require their own tank. lighting and filtration will vary based on what you stock. Definitly do your research. The more you learn on your own, the better prepared you are to understand what your getting into.

You will learn a ton from this site people on here have helped me a ton and have made knowledge good luck

Back
Top Bottom