Niger Trigger fish---Reef Safe to what extent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwita06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bough a Niger Trigger fish for my reef tank, a week ago, without knowing its characteristics. After checking the web, most places say "not reef safe."

My question is; What is it safe with? I have a 50 gal. tall tank, with 2 Damsels, and one small Lion Fish. Besides one candylactus, I have plenty of Mushrooms, of every type, growing everywhere. I have no coral in my tank, and no plans to add any coral. I am most concerned about the Mushrooms. Are they safe with the Trigger?

They seem to be getting along great, so far. :roll:

I dont think that any triggers are reef safe. And i hope you are not planning on upgrading because i dont think 50 gallons is big enough for any trigger. Good Luck.

There are several triggers that are what you could consider "reef friendly" of which you can consider the Niger. None should be considered completely reef safe. There is also the pink tail, sargassum and crosshatch (blue throat I think as well?). They are typically fine with most corals and anemones but a high risk with mobile inverts, especially decorative shrimp species.

I have kept the Niger and Pinktail in my reef setups and have not has issue with either. That does not mean it's a guarantee though. Each fish will have a different "personality" so to speak. I find that the smaller they are aquired, the more adaptable they become.

Cheers
Steve

I agree with steve on this subject. I have a very docile Pinktail in my reef, but I do not have any shrimp in with him.

Kaye

Back
Top Bottom