Is it safe? (Silicone on new tank question!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quasar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!

So I am completely new to the fishkeeping hobby, and I really don't know much about... much lol... especially the hardware side of things! Though I've been learning there's still so much I don't know! Anyway, I was just getting my brand new aquarium set up, I finished the leak test on it, and as I was emptying it, I noticed this part on the bottom right (outside) corner where the silicone is missing. The glass seems okay, and there was no leaking during the leak test. Mostly just wondering if this is going to cause any structural or integrity issues later on down the line.

It's a brand new Fluval Flex 32.5 gallon. And actually this is a replacement for one they originally sent me that was defective so this is already my second attempt trying to get started �� This is my first time owning an aquarium so I just want to make sure everything is safe (and structurally sound) before adding my new fish friends. I'm feeling a little nervous about that gap down in the corner. Especially after my experience with the first tank they sent me that needed replacing.

Any advice or opinions (even a little) would be helpful! Thank you!!!

(I tried to attach a picture.... sorry it's sideways lol!)

Attachments

• 20230326_110836.jpg
    20230326_110836.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 34
It looks like there is tape on the outside of the tank, is there tape on it?

Can you circle the area you are concerned about and maybe take a few more pictures (one from either side of that corner) with more light on it so we can see things a bit easier?

The forum makes all the pictures end up on their side. It makes it hard to work out what is going on sometimes :)

It looks like there is tape on the outside of the tank, is there tape on it?

Can you circle the area you are concerned about and maybe take a few more pictures (one from either side of that corner) with more light on it so we can see things a bit easier?

The forum makes all the pictures end up on their side. It makes it hard to work out what is going on sometimes :)

Thank you for your reply! There's no tape on it, that's just the silicone, or maybe what you thought was tape was the glass? What's going on, is there's a chunk missing of the silicone, and you can see through the gap to the inside back glass panel. I took more pictures so I hope it's easier to see!

Honestly I'm really hoping this isn't going to cause a structural integrity issue, because this is already my replacement tank and the process of getting this aquarium replaced was an actual nightmare T_T... but more importantly I just want it to be safe for me, my home, and my fish! So I'm just wanting to see what others might say about it, and if they think it's still safe to use in this condition!

I know oftentimes the silicone is just used as a sealant and as this is on the outside (and I already did the leak test and it was fine) maybe it will be okay?

Thank you in advance! I hope these pictures are okay! I tried uploading more but it wouldn't let me. I also had to resize, so might have lost some image quality, but I tried my best!

Attachments

• 20230327_131453.jpg
    20230327_131453.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230327_104412.jpg
    20230327_104412.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230326_110836.jpg
    20230326_110836.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230327_104214.jpg
    20230327_104214.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230327_104307.jpg
    20230327_104307.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 19
Ive got the 57 litre version of that tank, and those seals look terrible compared to mine. Even if those seals do hold its terrible workmanship and not typical for flex tanks.

Ive got the 57 litre version of that tank, and those seals look terrible compared to mine. Even if those seals do hold its terrible workmanship and not typical for flex tanks.

Thanks for your reply. Funny part is, these seals look a million times better than the ones on the first tank they sent me. I was assured by both the dealer and the manufacturer (Fluval themselves) that this is normal for these aquariums @.@... but my last one was in such terrible condition it was simply unacceptable. Still it took me almost 3 months of fighting (and the threat of a lawsuit) to get them to honor the warranty and give me an exchange and this is what they sent me...

But I'm like brand new to the fishkeeping hobby. This is my first ever aquarium so I don't know what's normal or not... it's really disheartening at this point :(

If you want a comparison

I tried to keep in focus, but im not the expert video maker that my wife it.

I really like fluval, i would recommend their products. But if they are happy with that their standards are slipping.

Last edited:
Boy, for Fluval, that’s bad quality control. I’d be very concerned, it looks like a “miss” on the caulking bead which should be a continuous strip of the silicone. 33 gallons is a fairly nice size tank, and the one you got is some $$( the Flex). Where did you buy it from? To me, I would be a little worried with the gap/air pocket for a new tank. Might be ok now, but over time, might be an issue. Poor workmanship…

Wow yeah your seals are really nice compared to mine...

I bought it from Saltwater Aquarium online since I don't live near any local pet stores... I had to go through an online retailer. This is the second bad one they sent me. Like I said, the first one was in even worse condition and Fluval kept saying "it's fine, it's normal... maybe a little sloppy, but fine"

I live in an apartment... I had to pay $1000 pet deposit (water damage fee mainly) to have this thing, plus get permission from the insurance guys and investors who own my building. The last thing I want is to actually cause damage... I mean obviously I want the fish to be safe too but... maybe I should be contacting Fluval again? Is there anything I can do to fix it on my own?

Lol I almost feel like selling both aquariums (maybe to someone that knows how to reseal) and just buying something totally different! They never made me return the other one so... now I'm stuck with 2 faulty tanks I guess? T.T

Do you have any brands or styles etc of acrylic aquariums you might recommend? I'd like to stay in the 30 to 35 gallon range if I can (my aquarium stand can hold up to a 40 gallon tank though)

Wow thanks for the lnik to that thread! I will do some more research and consider this acrylic tank thing! Right now my aquarium is brand new, unused, and empty... I have just been buying supplies (like substrate, heater, etc) so it's certainly not too late to make this change. Ya'll are making me nervous about this Fluval situation. Though I am in love with the Fluval Flex... 2 for 2 now I've gotten shoddy workmanship and just bad experience all the way around. I'm a little concerned to read about how acrylic yellows and turns brittle over time... but that seems a whole lot better than what I am currently dealing with to be honest... so... time to go educate myself!

I was hoping you'd all say the silicone looks fine and I was overreacting so I could just finally get started! But I guess good things come to those who wait (and work extra hard!) lol

You should definitely exchange that tank as you say it is brand new. That is not up to standard.

Thanks for your reply! Actually this is the exchanged one. I already got an exchange for the other damaged one they sent me, and this is the replacement one I was sent -_- I'm not sure they will exchange an exchange. It was a nightmare to even get them to give me this replacement one! I mean, I can try but lol...

I'm wondering if it's not better to just try to sell both (because I have 2 now) to people who know how to reseal tanks? And buy a different brand ._.

Email Fluval and ask their advice. They might take a few days to respond, or call and have pics ready to email to them. I have had a very positive experience with them. They like to have the copy of the receipt where purchased / always ask me for it.

But also would understand why you'd rather try a different brand.

Acrylic tanks seem a lot safer! But also hard to find online... I really am unsure what to do at this point, but I really do appreciate everyone's help and advice! Thank you so much!

Yes I understand :) I worked very closely with Fluval for the last 3 months to get this aquarium exchanged (I didn't really work with the dealer much because from the very start the dealer was refusing to honor their return policy), I was almost exclusively working with Fluval. We know each other very well at this point lol. It was a very long, tedious, and difficult process, even working with Fluval. I can contact them again, but as I said, this is already an exchanged tank (Fluval themselves orchestrated the exchange on my behalf with the dealer). I'm just not thinking they're likely to do yet another exchange when the first one was like pulling teeth T.T and I only say that because I do have a lot of experience dealing with them. But I guess you never know! I mean you won't know unless you try, as the sayin goes! But also at this point I'm loosing a little faith in the company :(

It would seem maybe the vendor you have received the tanks from got a bad batch?

You can not really argue that the pic of the silicone work is good enough quality. So maybe the lot number of the production that day had a person or machine with a bad day.

Not your fault. That quality issue is on the company quality control. I would be shocked and very nice to them that the tank has a terrible boo boo, again! lol but not really funny. I am wishing you luck with a speedy resolution.

Please keep us posted.

The black oval shape that is circled in the picture, is that hollow and if so, how far in does it go?
If it goes in more than 2mm it could be an issue.

Acrylic/ Perspex tanks scratch easily. That's their main drawback.

The black oval shape that is circled in the picture, is that hollow and if so, how far in does it go?
If it goes in more than 2mm it could be an issue.

Acrylic/ Perspex tanks scratch easily. That's their main drawback.

Yes it's hollow. I can stick things right in there and touch/see the back glass panel. It definitely goes in more than 2mm. The whole inside part there is hollow, at least as far as I can see in. I stuck a long wooden BBQ skewer all the way inside with no resistance ._.

I'm feeling more and more nervous about this situation. There's one more thing I didn't mention that's starting to seem important (maybe?).. the back panel where the filter and stuff goes... before the leak test it was totally fine. After the leak test, the plastic developed stress lines (I attached pictures).

I don't know if that makes sense, but like... have you ever tried to bend or break a piece of plastic and it doesn't break all the way, but where you bent it, it turns white? That's what happened to the plastic on the back panel after the leak test. I don't know if that's normal though, or has something to do with the silicone situation... Either way (and especially after talking to everyone here) I'm feeling more and more like this tank is a problem.

I don't mind the scratching issue with acrylic. A few cosmetic issues are a small price to pay for peace of mind... at least for me personally after all this lol. I hope one day soon I'll actually be able to keep fish, and not just keep collecting broken aquariums lol!!! XD

Attachments

• 20230328_022435.jpg
    20230328_022435.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230328_022339.jpg
    20230328_022339.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom