nuisance polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crvz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i've had a problem with these brown polyps for some time now, and i was wondering if anyone has a good way of eleminating them or if anyone knows exactly what they are. they are in decent control now, but ive had them to where they are essentially overrunning the tank. one has shown up in the middle of a really good green star polyp colony i have, and it has made them remain closed for a long time. ive tried injecting them with calcium through a hyperdermic needle, which works really well at killing those i have, but im tired of having to do monthly maintenance on it. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aiptasia anemone...definitely a weed. I kill them with a syringe and boiling water. I don't know any way to totally eliminate them. There are a couple of products that claim to kill them and not hurt anything else in the tank, but I have never used them.
Logan J

Depending on how large they are you could get a few peppermint shrimp. They are known to eat it. I had some of that nasty stuff in my 20. I got me 5 peperments and now I know of only 1 in the 20 that they have not eaten.

i had some really big ones taking over bought 2 peppermints 3 days later they were gone..have heard that camel shrimp look like peppermints so make sure you get the genuine article..

I would second the suggestions above. True peppermint shrimp should take care of the smaller ones and the kalk injections will kill the larger ones.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom