Patience sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy smoke!! I think you've exceeded your dog per square foot limit! ;)
Yeah I just have an average house 1400 SQ feet and the yard isn't huge but barely big enough.

It's only money....have you considered working at the petstore to get a discount??? :silly:
Unfortunately since they are purebreeds the wife insists on buying premium dogfood. Its 30 dollars for a 20pound bag.

You could probably buy is online at drsfosterandsmith and sneak in a few fish things as well!

That's ok.....the dogs will be living on the couch and bed anyway.....you two get to live on the floor now!

As for the food.....stay away from corn based foods! I've only fed Nutromax and have had no problems. Not exactly cheap but well worth it in the long run.

Ah....puppy breath and milk teeth (I still have scars on my hands from a rescue greyhound puppy)....your socks/shoes will never be the same! LOL

I will never understand how people can allow dogs that size inside the house... I have a chow/retriever mix, and the only time he comes in is when it's pouring rain or snowing, and then only straight to his kennel.

I will never understand how people can allow dogs that size inside the house... I have a chow/retriever mix, and the only time he comes in is when it's pouring rain or snowing, and then only straight to his kennel.
The personality of these particular dogs are big gentle giants they thrive on lots of hugs and being paid attention to 24/7 The dog loves the couch and the bed. I roll over in my bed and instead of seing my wife I see a big drooling snout staring at me licking my nose. If they were to stay outside all the time in a kennel they would get extremely depressed. I Never understood how people could keep there dog in a kennel most of the day. Its like prison.

I was never one to get a dog and leave it outside. The one in my avatar is a rescue and he is 160Lbs. Nothing but a big teddy bear.

I dont understand spending that much on a "purebred" dog. especially if she is going to cross breed mastiff and bernard for puppies. i spent about a $100 for our dog from the pound and he's just as big and lovable (st bernard/german shepard mix) our second dog we got basically free since we rescued her from the vet's office. Someone shoved her in the door and left and since they are illegal to own in that particular county (she's pitbull) they would have had to put her down.
IMO and i mean no offense but i think it's ridiculous that breeders charge that much for a dog and even more ridiculous that people still buy them at that price.

On another note why cant you just add another fixture to the top of the tank like a 4x39watt t5ho which would only be about $250 depending on where you get it. i looked on catalinaaquarium.com

Opps, nevermind, he is not in my avatar. Let me see if I can get him in my sig file.

I was never one to get a dog and leave it outside. The one in my avatar is a rescue and he is 160Lbs. Nothing but a big teddy bear.
I was never one to let a dog inside. IMO all dogs belong outside. The idea of having a drooling face in my house is just gross to me. Besides all the hair and the stinky smell. I love my dog, but he's just that - a dog. Dogs are not meant to be treated like people, and have their place as a pet. It bugs me when people start to treat dogs as part of the family.

BTW - I only see cats in your avatar...

I dont understand spending that much on a dog
IMO and i mean no offense but i think it's ridiculous that breeders charge that much for a dog and even more ridiculous that people still buy them at that price.

On another note why cant you just add another fixture to the top of the tank like a 4x39watt t5ho which would only be about $250 depending on where you get it. i looked on catalinaaquarium.com
I agree about the dog I couldn't talk any sense into my wife. We paid $1400 for the female Mastiff and $1000 for the male Saint Bernard. and the puppies would be mutts ruining the breeds. I tried talking her into another Mastiff so we could make some money selling the pups. And its not ridiculous they charge that much there are a lot of costs involved in breeding puppies. Especially big dogs. They have to sell lots of puppies to turn a profit.

There isn't enough room to add another light fixture with the one I have. I would have to replace it My concern was if the 4x39 T5 would allow me to have SPS corals. its less watts than what I have but it is T5 I don't know if that makes that much of a difference lighting my tank.

It would probably be about the effectiveness as your current fixture. (just a guess since i'm not very experienced yet but with individual reflectors and being t5hos i know you get more lumens out of them) i just looked again at catalina and they have a special on the 6 bulb fixture for 25 bucks more. though the legs are separate and if you want to add a fan it's extra but it comes with moonlighting.

We certainly all have differing opinions on this subject. It bothers me when people do not treat their dogs as part of their family. My dogs are cleaner than most people's children. They have regular baths and therefore do not smell/stink. As for the hair issue.....if a dog is properly groomed, there should be very little residual hair in the residence.

I have only paid for one of my dogs. All of my dogs have either been rescue greyhounds or severely abused dogs that would have been destroyed if I hadn't taken them. (One of my dogs obtained a Candian, as well as a US championship title AND an obedience title.) They are trained and behave better than most adults I know.

I'm sure that we can agree to disagree on this subject. As long as a dog is properly cared for (food, shelter) who am I to throw stones?

:invasion:

I was never one to let a dog inside. IMO all dogs belong outside. The idea of having a drooling face in my house is just gross to me. Besides all the hair and the stinky smell. I love my dog, but he's just that - a dog. Dogs are not meant to be treated like people, and have their place as a pet. It bugs me when people start to treat dogs as part of the family.

BTW - I only see cats in your avatar...

This thread has strayed off topic, BUT, when I was a teenager my mother would vaccum our German Shepard (central vac system, so very little noise). My K-9 trained dog would roll over on command and let mom vaccum the hair from the other side, underbelly, etc. She (the dog) knew who was boss in the house :)

my apologies fijiwigi....didn't mean to hijack your thread. Perhaps you could rig up a hamster wheel generator for your lighting needs and let those hounds work off their food?

When you get out of the poor house you should take a look at the T5 HO fixtures. I really like mine and I have a lot more choices in the coral dept.....to say nothing about adding clams etc...

my apologies fijiwigi....didn't mean to hijack your thread. Perhaps you could rig up a hamster wheel generator for your lighting needs and let those hounds work off their food?

When you get out of the poor house you should take a look at the T5 HO fixtures. I really like mine and I have a lot more choices in the coral dept.....to say nothing about adding clams etc...
No problem I am not butt hurt about Thread Jacking I started it. Bottom line I started this thread to determine the cheapest way to be able to keep any coral I want and desperately need help to figure out exactly what I should buy whenever I recover from the overly expensive Dog. will the 6bulb T5 fixture allow me to accomplish this goal?

Back
Top Bottom