New “rescued” goldfish ick - help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chavamomma1227

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I’m new here. Just a quick overview, I have 5 tanks - a 55gal w turtles w lots of guppies, 2 betta tanks (5.5 gal), a 10 gal tank with one glofish, and another 5 gallon guppy grow out tank. All these tanks are established and doing well.

Here’s the problem:

I stopped into a Meijer store last evening - which is a large retailer in our area similar to a Walmart - where they have a little bit of everything. They have a live fish section, and I couldn’t help myself but to take a look. Bad idea!!! The tanks look horrible, as expected. Most of the fish looked ok though, and surprisingly I didn’t see any dead fish. HOWEVER, all the tanks lights were off (may have been bc it was late but I’m not sure) and all the tanks at the bottoms seemed to be empty, but I just happened to lean down and take a good look into one and lone behold, there were 5 juvenile black moor goldfish ABSOLUTELY COVERED with Ick. These poor babies look soooo pitiful... it’s so bad that my kids thought they were actual polka dotted fish :( I immediately called for help, had to wait for 10-15 mins for a worker to come help me. I told him they were sick but that I wanted to go ahead buy them so I could take them home and take care of them/try to save them as they are obviously being neglected by how bad the Ick has gotten. He called his manager whom came over and after some back and forth (she told me she’s not aloud to sell sick fish) she ended up letting me have them because she doesn’t have the supplies to care for them.

Well, now they’re here with me. I took the glofish out of the 10gal and put her in the guppy grow out for now (I currently dont have but maybe 5 or 6 guppy fry in there). I treated the tank with aquarium salt, acclimated the goldfish (tank has a heater and is currently between 78-80 degrees), added more beneficial bacteria, and then after about 30 mins, hand transferred each one to the 10 gal. (Disclaimer: I know this is WAY to small for goldfish, this was just an unexpected situation and I had to make do with what I have available at the moment... this will be temporary and they will get set up with another much larger home if they survive)

I plan on doing daily water changes, I just need some reassurance and a little guidance on a good medication to help these poor babies survive. In my area there’s Walmart, Petsmart, Petco, and a Pet supply plus. No small local fish stores unless I drive over an hour into the next large city. I can also buy whatever is needed online (Amazon preferred). I’m just nervous because I’ve never dealt with Ick or even had goldfish before and there are soo many options available, I just want to make sure I’m doing what’s right for them.

Any help is much appreciated! I’ve attached some photos so you can see how bad the Ick really is.

Attachments

• C68F0AAF-2A50-4404-8290-AC7CFA362C12.jpg
    C68F0AAF-2A50-4404-8290-AC7CFA362C12.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2FB6659F-CFA2-4699-8DE9-9920611C4840.jpg
    2FB6659F-CFA2-4699-8DE9-9920611C4840.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 621BC39B-3924-4890-8524-68E729105677.jpg
    621BC39B-3924-4890-8524-68E729105677.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 22
That is bad! And good for you trying to help them! I've had good luck using Kordon rid ich plus and Hikari ich-x both (same ingredients). Treat for 7 days. Salt, temp, vacuum daily. That's ime

That is bad! And good for you trying to help them! I've had good luck using Kordon rid ich plus and Hikari ich-x both (same ingredients). Treat for 7 days. Salt, temp, vacuum daily. That's ime

Thank you so much for the advice! I’ve done a lot of research and found I actually DO have a local fish store and was able to find the Hikari Ich X in store. My only question is: when I’m doing the daily water changes, do I re-dose the tank the full amount each time OR calculate how much meds I need to put in for just the fresh water going in?

Yw! And good luck

Hey there, me again. Question... today is day 4 of treatment... All have made major improvement, however, now that a lot of the ick is coming off, I’m noticing some fin rot on 2 possibly 3 out of the 5 along with some bigger white white spots that look like something else is possibly starting to form. I’m still doing daily changes, gravel vacuum, salt, and ick x.... will this new issue be taken care of with these steps as well or should I be looking into possibly getting another medication like Erythromycin to treat for maybe secondary infections once ick x is completed?

If it is (and quite possibly is) fin rot, then yes, antibiotics are the only cure. They won't develop a fungal disease while being treated for ich with that med. It's the best for curing fungus too. Fin rot is bacterial. I've had best luck curing it with furan-2 and salt in the water, and antibiotics in the food. There are binders for meds to food, or you can make your own with unflavored gelatin. Hikari and Aquarium science both have recipes to make medicated food. Seachem makes a binder too

If it is (and quite possibly is) fin rot, then yes, antibiotics are the only cure. They won't develop a fungal disease while being treated for ich with that med. It's the best for curing fungus too. Fin rot is bacterial. I've had best luck curing it with furan-2 and salt in the water, and antibiotics in the food. There are binders for meds to food, or you can make your own with unflavored gelatin. Hikari and Aquarium science both have recipes to make medicated food. Seachem makes a binder too

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking except I didn’t know about the food. I’ve went ahead and attached 3 pics (I just did a water change and they’re staying real close to the bubbler so please excuse the water!!) The first two I think is the same fish but the other two fish look similar with the same type of spots and fin rot... The third pic is for reference as to how the other 2 of look. Definitely much much better!

Attachments

• 01A42173-D608-48BB-BFC3-A7D4DE26C9B6.jpg
    01A42173-D608-48BB-BFC3-A7D4DE26C9B6.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 21
  • A391A9D7-9050-428A-B1E6-D969A28A5D80.jpg
    A391A9D7-9050-428A-B1E6-D969A28A5D80.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 13
  • 34D5C7A6-1EBF-471B-828C-B7339D8BAA72.jpg
    34D5C7A6-1EBF-471B-828C-B7339D8BAA72.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 14
Huh...., it's hard to say if it's bacterial fin rot or not. They were in such bad conditions before you got them. But the ich prob really stressed them out and lowered their immune system. It wouldn't hurt to treat them. Your already salting, maybe add the furan-2 or another sulpha med to the water to kill any free floating bacteria

Thanks again! You’ve been very helpful! I’m gonna keep an eye on them for a couple more days and if I don’t see any major improvement in the newer symptoms, I’ll go this weekend to get some new meds!

Back
Top Bottom