PC getting old?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canada911

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Little question here, I heard that fluorescent lighting can shift there light spectrum when getting older, is it true? Mine is 4 years old but they seem ok, could it cause a bloom of algae? 'cause I have some algae problem since 1-2 year...

Should I invest in changing them (those are expensive... :( )?

Thank!

It's recommended to replace PC lights every 6-8 months due to spectrum shift that can cause un-wanted algae to grow.

If you got a reef tank I would suggest replacing the bulbs, it would greatly benefit your corals.

My husband and I let ours go for about 8 months and now we have a major problem with Cyno (red slime). This was a contributing factor to this problem.

ooooookay... There was that guy at one of my LFS that told me that this wasnt true... I guess he doesnt no crap out of his job.

Since I have MAJOR algae problem since a year and Since my PC are like 3 years old, I will follow all your advice and change them even if it is expensive.

Thanks for your advice all!! :)

this hobby is not cheap and lights are one thing the cost $$$ on a regular basis. It kills me to replace my VHO bulbs every 6-8 months. They work fine, they look the same but I know what will happen if I don't.....
The guy at the LFS needs to learn more about his business.

Back
Top Bottom