Pistol Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Crabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Had him about a week and man this guy can move some sand. He never stops digging which I thought was kinda cool and funny to watch. He dug out a home under 2 different areas of LR. Guess he needed a vacation home. But today I get home and he went for another area and filled up a cave I had set up where my emerald crabs like to hang out. He completely filled it up with sand. I used a PH to clear it out again and he went to one of his old homes to hide. Now he is back again. I dont mind him digging under the LR but I dont want him to fill the cave up.

Might be a dumb question but any way to deter him from digging in specific areas where I dont want him at or am I just at his mercy....other than getting rid of him and no I wont kill him if I do so no worries about that. He has pretty much made it clear to the other crabs hermits and shrimp that its his tank.

This is my experence. The pistol will go all over and dig all over for the first little bit after adding then it will basicly establish an area of teh tank where it digs. Mine is almost never seen and stays to one side of the tank for the most part. And yes these guys are quite the excivators.

10 months now and I have only managed catch a glimpse of his claws in one of his holes...Very secretive. I wouldn't have known he is even in there except for the discarded skins every now and then.

Mine did establish a single area before long, like fishfreek said. But I'd think too that you're at his mercy about where he wants to dig.

Brad and Mr Crabs, do you have a shrimp goby for him? You might see him more. Maybe. My watchman got caught in the overflow once and I didn't see the shrimp at all. When the goby is around, my pistol actually come out the hole and sits there, sometimes waiting for food. Guess I got lucky with mine. I see him all the time.

Ok thanks just guess I will wait it out and hopefully he ends up in a spot where I like. I see mine all the time. Every once in a while I will even see him just walking around the tank. I am going to get a Goby for him just waiting for my nitrate level to drop.

Back
Top Bottom