Planning my 240 Help Me out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in about 6 months I will be moving into a new home where I will be installing a 240g In wall tank. the dimensions are 96l x 24w x 25h. This thread will be on going as I need help making decisions along the way.

The first choice I need help with is probably the most important. Do I go FOWLR or Reef? Personally I lean to reef but doing a reef in a tank that size doesn't let me have some of the cooler fish that would be able to go in a tank that size. So that makes me lean to the FOWLR so I could have a small shark or other larger fish. What one would you choose? also money isn't a factor at this point in time in the decision making process.

I have also considered hooking the systems together and having the large tank be fowlr and a smaller tank like a 75g be a reef beings I already have all the equipment to run a 75g reef.

Keep the 75 how it is IMO. Was a nice bare bottom I thought. As for the 240...I'd say FO. I was bored at work and surfing through LA yesterday and looking into fish I'd want in a FO tank. Should have 1 of each.

If money isn't much of an issue and you've got the wall space how about this. Put your 75 next to the 240, scape the 75 like an ocean shelf that drops off to the abyss (your 240) which would be a fowlr... Kinda hard to really explain but the picture in my head is amazing lmao

If money isn't much of an issue and you've got the wall space how about this. Put your 75 next to the 240, scape the 75 like an ocean shelf that drops off to the abyss (your 240) which would be a fowlr... Kinda hard to really explain but the picture in my head is amazing lmao

I was thinking of doing something like this because I will have utility room that will have the equipment and everything in it and the tank on the outside wall. I was thinking of having the 75g on a short wall then when you turn the corner there is a 240g along the long wall. Well that was an easy choice will definitely have one of each.

so beings the tank is only 24" wide does that limit me? should i be getting one that's 5ft long and 36" wide? I want to have a Koran or Queen Angel and a cat shark or 2. I would hope the 24" wide tank is wide enough for these fish

If you really want reef then do a fake reef and put coral inserts

If this is FOWLR maybe just some ecoxotic light strips? If coral...ecotech LEDs since you're not on a budget!

I'd go FOWLR for the big tank and reef for the smaller if you can do both. A 75g reef could look great and the 240g would be fun for larger fish. Lighting for the 240, if fish only, does not need to be anything special.

I want the lighting to bring out the colors in the fish. So what brings out the best color. I like a lot of blue in tanks so that's why I lean to led.

The reef is twice the work load that a fish only system represents. Far superior in my view, but it limits you on the kind of fish you can have. I would not put a queen angel in anything much smaller than a 500 gallon. These bigger fish need room and will quickly sicken and die without it.
JIMO

The reef is twice the work load that a fish only system represents. Far superior in my view, but it limits you on the kind of fish you can have. I would not put a queen angel in anything much smaller than a 500 gallon. These bigger fish need room and will quickly sicken and die without it.
JIMO

Well I'm rather set on one of each. Well I will have a large angel in the tank beings that's half the reason I'm building a tank that big. Maybe I'll do a Koran instead.

Just check out their adult size and recognize in the wild some of these fish hunt large territories.

Well I will skip the queen angel but I will have a large angel, this whole thing right now is really about stocking its more for me getting ideas of what equipment I will need and use and just a place for me to bounce ideas off people without having to make a bunch of threads.

What protein skimmer do you plan on getting? Going to get a bio pellet reactor? So far I haven't seen someone on here that owns one, but I haven't been really looking out either.

Back
Top Bottom