Planning my 240 Help Me out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
obscurereef said:
What protein skimmer do you plan on getting? Going to get a bio pellet reactor? So far I haven't seen someone on here that owns one, but I haven't been really looking out either.

I ran biopellets for a while but decided phosgaurd and carbon were better until I order some gfo

What protein skimmer do you plan on getting? Going to get a bio pellet reactor? So far I haven't seen someone on here that owns one, but I haven't been really looking out either.

skimmer I am unsure about...I think its going to need to be rather large because im going to have both the tanks connected to the same system. Its going to be a 240g FOWLR, 75g Reef, 75g Sump so thats 390gl system. Got any thoughts on good skimmer? I currently have a NWB150 i dont know if maybe i could use 2 skimmers?

Hmm very interesting...you got better results with the carbon and phosphate media? What brand did you use? Curious b/c my LFS uses only a protein skimmer and biopellet reactor on all of their frag tanks and a 250 gallon (or something close to that big) and all the corals and fish look exceptional.

skimmer I am unsure about...I think its going to need to be rather large because im going to have both the tanks connected to the same system. Its going to be a 240g FOWLR, 75g Reef, 75g Sump so thats 390gl system. Got any thoughts on good skimmer? I currently have a NWB150 i dont know if maybe i could use 2 skimmers?

Haha! Why not just add another tank in there like a 55 or something and have a refugium w/ a mantis shrimp and other inhabitants like this one guy had setup on youtube. :lol:

They were something-pearls. I think given long enough they wouldn't be to bad but I needed a more aggressive approach to phosphate removal.

Haha! Why not just add another tank in there like a 55 or something and have a refugium w/ a mantis shrimp and other inhabitants like this one guy had setup on youtube. :lol:

I thought fuges = no no

I find i really dont care for inverts. I have a serpent star, long spine banded urchin, fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp. and they are all getting sold. I just dont care for them and they seem to cause more trouble then they are worth. Now my little sexy shrimp in my 4g are another story. Do you think I should keep the tanks separate systems or a single large one?

I wouldn't connect the systems together. Jmo but the messy eating of a FOWLR (as you mentioned eaters like sharks) would mean you really need good filtration for the water quality of the reef. Probably you would be battling nitrates and phosphates constantly. Maybe I'm wrong tho lol.

I wouldn't connect the systems together. Jmo but the messy eating of a FOWLR (as you mentioned eaters like sharks) would mean you really need good filtration for the water quality of the reef. Probably you would be battling nitrates and phosphates constantly. Maybe I'm wrong tho lol.

No i agree 100% with your reasoning thats why im questioning if that is a good idea. Because I want the 240 to be aggressive tank so it will be messy. I also want it to have sand. So i guess ill just run the 240g with a 75g Sump and just keep my current reef the same set up. 75g tank with a 30g long sump.

I'm with BeenGirl when I ask why are refugiums bad? They can lower nitrates (not much, but better than nothing), a protective space for pods and macroalgae to grow, and can help balance the tank if you have a reverse light cycle. During daylight hours, plants release oxygoen and in the darkness plants release CO2 and use oxygen. Same for corals so if you switched the lighting, the refugium marine plants would be giving off O2 during the night and the corals would give off CO2 balancing it out somewhat and vise versa.

When you have some free time read this thread. You will never use a Fuge again. I belong to thereeftank as well and this guy has a great reputation on the site and really knows his stuff.

Refugium Discussion Thread

Oh posted after you posted this...what's a brief overview..like the main points...excess nutrients that adds to nitrates? Just pretty much guessing here.

I'm with BeenGirl when I ask why are refugiums bad? They can lower nitrates (not much, but better than nothing), a protective space for pods and macroalgae to grow, and can help balance the tank if you have a reverse light cycle. During daylight hours, plants release oxygoen and in the darkness plants release CO2 and use oxygen. Same for corals so if you switched the lighting, the refugium marine plants would be giving off O2 during the night and the corals would give off CO2 balancing it out somewhat and vise versa.

I personally dont run one in my Reef tank because Its bare bottom to keep nutrients at a minimum and a fuge kind of makes that pointless. but i would consider one for a FOWLR but not in a BB reef.

Fair enough. Even with the fuges w/ just rubble rock, no sand and chaeto? Or does the detritus that could possibly get caught in there contribute to more waste?

Oh posted after you posted this...what's a brief overview..like the main points...excess nutrients that adds to nitrates? Just pretty much guessing here.

the last time i read it was like 6 months ago so i cant really tell you off the top of my head but its basically a nitrate factory. you dont see much benefit from having a fuge. Also the fact that people search for pod farming but if you want a lower nutrient tank you wont have many pods because pods flourish in high nutrient environments so theres no reason to have one.

Hmm thanks for the brief overview. Definitely love learning new things and different opinions. Might eventually do an experiment w/ 2 tanks one without a fuge and one w/ a fuge. It would be pretty interesting to see the differences IMO!

Fair enough. Even with the fuges w/ just rubble rock, no sand and chaeto? Or does the detritus that could possibly get caught in there contribute to more waste?

rubble and cheato is terrible because it collects tons of detritus that is rarely siphoned out.

so I think im going to do this set up a bit differently now. I was looking at my tanks today and decided that a 40g in wall reef would be really cool and I think I would enjoy it more then the 75g reef because it would be easier to clean and I would be able to get it to look the way I want much easier and cheaper lol. Also all the reef fish that I love would be perfectly happy in a 40g tank.

So my plan is currently

240g /w 75g Sump

40g Reef /w 75g Sump/Frag Tank

CleverBs said:
so I think im going to do this set up a bit differently now. I was looking at my tanks today and decided that a 40g in wall reef would be really cool and I think I would enjoy it more then the 75g reef because it would be easier to clean and I would be able to get it to look the way I want much easier and cheaper lol. Also all the reef fish that I love would be perfectly happy in a 40g tank.

So my plan is currently

240g /w 75g Sump

40g Reef /w 75g Sump/Frag Tank

Sounds like a plan.. I love 40 breeders :)

Back
Top Bottom