Poll on Anemone Life Spans in Fish Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Long Were you able to keep an anemone alive

• 50+ years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25+ years

• 10+ years

• 5+ years

• 1+ years

• Under a year but still going

• Never past a few months

• Had one but reguarless of what I did it didnt make it

• Total voters

tkos

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I said I would run this poll in another thread and I might as well start it now. I will probably run one in the future as well. Just curious about the success or lack of that people have been having with anemones. Of course there are many different types and many are harder than others but this is just an informal look see.

If you have had great success then please fill us in and why you think that success was possible.

Captive Raised E. quad here.

Had it for 5 months, so I have no determination of success. However, the growth and coloration is promising IMO.

I initially had it under PC lighting in my 55g tank. Extension was good, color was kind of bland but was growing steadily. Since then, I have upgraded to a 175w MH just for the anemone. I am currently using a 20k bulb per the suggestion of others at RC in the anemone forum. It has since started to grow a little quicker and has turned much more green in color over the last few weeks. I have already ordered a 10k bulb (and 15k in the near future) to determine which bulb has the most observed success in the future.

I feed every 3-4 days with Selcon enriched silversides, shrimp, blender mush, formula 1, and other foods. The only food rejected thus far are scallops. The anemone moved down in the tank to the bottom on the day it was placed in the tank and has remained there in a low/medium flow.

(Note: I think a specific answer should be available that one has had an anemone die or else the results could be misleading)

**Edit** Blue S. Haddoni here

Was shipped from Liveaquaria on Dec 3 and recieved on Dec 4.. It has been doing Great so far.. I have never directly fed it from the advice of the ppl that have been able to keep them long term... It has not hosted my A. Perculas as of yet but they are working on it... It is being kept under 2x250w 10k XM MH & 2x55w PC actinics lights using Crystal Seas Marinemix for my salt with a 10% water change bimonthly... The anemone is in a low-moderate flow area... I plan on having this anemone for many years to come and hopefully pass the tank and livestock down to my kids.

James

I can't edit the poll once it has started. People will just have to "understand" it I guess.

I can't edit the poll once it has started. People will just have to "understand" it I guess.

Pm Aaron or Kevin and they should be able to change or modify the poll for you however you wish..

James

But that is the issue, it is impossible to "understand". If you had one live to 2.5 years you could answer "2 years" but is not indicative if it is alive yet or not. I'll see if i can edit it.

I have a tank propogated bubble tip and it was looking good for a while but now its not looking so hot. Not sure whats up with it.

I'm assuming that the tank propagated ones are hardier than wild caught but still not successfully kept :?:

Yes tank propogated anenomes should be more acclomated to our tanks but thats not a sure sign of the ability to keep them.

I am not sure if this will add or detract from the debated thread I saw earlier but.....

1x baby green Ritteri 6 yrs
2x hatian anemones 6 yrs
1x Yellow Ritteri anemone 5 yrs
1x H malu ( :?: the juries still out on that) just under 4 yrs
1x Green beaded sea anemone 3½ yrs

All lighting is PC and none of the anemone's have ever been supplimentally fed. All are fed via secondary fish feedings. Primarily flake foods.

Cheers
Steve

Nope, I actually think it lends itself perfectly to it. Your success flies right into the face of differing information, yet you are undoubtedly successful thus far. I have little doubt that someone could try to replicate your conditions and not fare as well. To me it proves that some folks are successful with various techniques but we still don't understand all the variables.

If no one has yet to involve you in a study on anemones I would have no clue why.

I added the following option.

Had one but reguarless of what I did it didnt make it

For those who have voted aready you cant change your vote but if this new option fits better post here what you voted for prior to this option and that the new option fits better.

HoopsGuru said:
If no one has yet to involve you in a study on anemones I would have no clue why.
No ones asked or made mention of a study to be involved with. If anyone is aware of one that would not risk the health of my animals, I would be more than willing.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom