Protein Skimmer Too Big For Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased a Remora in sump skimmer. The skimmer will fit in the sump but there is not enough room for the pump. Should I return it or plumb the pump so the pump is out of the skimmer with an intake line running into the sump?

Can you post a pic? I'm not sure I understand how you're wanting to do this. If you have the in sump version, it should be the Urchin. Is it the Pro version with the Mag 3 pump?

It is an Urchin Pro with a mag drive. With the pump already in the sump for the filter, there is just not enough room to fit the skimmer and its pump. I was thinking of having the skimmer (mag) pump sitting outside the sump and just running piping long enough to reach inside the sump - out to the pump - and back to the skimmer.

i read that mag drives for some reason should not be used inline !!! dont know why but seen it on the marinedepot site !!!

Interesting since they where always marketed as the pump that could either be submersed or external.

fishfreek said:
Interesting since they where always marketed as the pump that could either be submersed or external.
And used externally on some skimmers.

Cheers
Steve

You can use a Mag Drive externally. I wonder though if you could locate the skimmer outside the sump and have the pump inside? I think, by the time you run all those lines, you'll have lost some flow. If you do end up putting the pump outside, you may have to go to a Mag 5 to get the results you want. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom