Purple condy in a reef aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nelix10

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is the condy a real danger to my coral?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it doesn't settle, it can easily sit down in the middle of your coral and sting them. A new anemone is always a danger from such when it is an established reef tank. They can settle where you put them if the light was strong enough and flow was right, but if you don't want to chance it I wouldn't do it. Condy are a 'cheaper anemone' and IMO not worth it as there are much prettier anemone out there.

If it doesn't settle, it can easily sit down in the middle of your coral and sting them. A new anemone is always a danger from such when it is an established reef tank. They can settle where you put them if the light was strong enough and flow was right, but if you don't want to chance it I wouldn't do it. Condy are a 'cheaper anemone' and IMO not worth it as there are much prettier anemone out there.
Agreed, if he doesn't like where he's placed, he'll go walking around the tank, and can sting anything near him while on that walk, then can sting and kill whatever is next to him when he does settle in.

I have one. Really like him. He settled and has stayed in one spot since about a week after I got him. Have had him for a few months now and he hasn't moved. He's a pretty model citizen but pretty boring in terms of anemones. He will be moved to my 75G reef as I am making the tank he is currently in into a (multiple) BTA and clownfish tank.

img_3217535_0_ddd13f2931d48ad98bec31661b0a0960.jpg

Yes, their tendency to wander around can be a pain, especially when testing out a new powerhead and you walk away for 40 minute to make dinner and came back to see a what looks like your anemone being put through a wood chipper. :eek:

Guess he decided to wander around and got a little too close... :(

My condy walked around for a couple of weeks until it found it's spot and then just stayed there. but ya, all anemones are risky with coral.

My purple Condy move an inch from the spot I put it in. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430866421.302907.jpg

Back
Top Bottom