Questions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carson24

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I just bought a canister filter and a skimmer for my new 125 gallon tank. I am starting completely over and trying to go as slow as I can. Is a ro/di that important should I get one is what I'm getting at. Are the ones on eBay any good? Also my canister filter is a marineland multistage canister filter c-160 and my skimmer is a coralife super skimmer needle wheel protein skimmer 125 gallon are these good items??

Sorry so many question but my grandma lives in Jacksonville Florida what if I had her get me a bunch of sand from the beach would that work like the sand u buy?

What are you looking to keep? Canister filters are not the best for salt water and you would want a sump. Don't buy stuff new, then research it. Research what you want, then find it used. For your first tank at least. For example, if you want fish only, you could get a power compact fixture cheap, but if you want corals, T5HO is good, and you could get a MH system used fairly affordably.

Do you live in Jax? You will need about 4 five gallon buckets of sand. Shipping would be insane. Taking Beach sand could be against the law. Many will say its a bad idea as you don't know what pollutants are in the water.

PLEASE read about fishless cycling.

My budy who ownes a bunch of salt tanks said I need a canister filter and I am cycling right now bc I messed up the first time I am looking to do a sump bit still reading up on them

Get a sump on the 125. I have a sm 30 with a canister but my 120 runs a sump. If you dont have the cash to buy one already set up....build your own sump out of an old 30-40 gal tank. Thats how i got my feet wet....looked at how sumps were designed, drew on the outside with a permarker where each wall/baffle went, then took the tank to my local glass shop. Left the tank so they could make sure each piece fit snuggly. I epoxied them in. And after apoxy curred... Hooked it up. I had the tank already and I think the additional glass cost maybe $30. I even had them cut a piece to sit on top with holes in it to cut down on splashing & salt creep. A few months later i added a refugium to the side Just recently I changed my home made one for a used plexi number i found with a built in refugium.
Join a local reef club if you can. And keep your eyes open for quality used eqipment. Dont waste $$ on cheap quality....it rarely works right & costs you more because you have to replace it.
If you cant find a drawing of how the sump is seperated... Let me know & i can send you a sketch.

Good luck!

RO/DI units on Ebay are fine. Don't have her ship sand from the beach because the live bacteria will die if not properly sealed. Also, check craigslist; there's always someone on there trying to get rid of their setup because they are moving. The closer they are to moving, the better chance you have at getting a better deal because they'll get to the point where they just want to get rid of it.

For a 125 return the canister filter. Run a sump for sure. Go and buy sand, do not ever take sand from the beach. Check the pics on my profile of my 120 gallon it will give you a good idea of what you need. You need a sump tank with a protein skimmer and a return pump. Also have to get the plumbing for it. 125 gallon is pretty big for a first time SW tank.

Well I was running a 29 for a bit but it was way to small for me lol go big or go home ya know. And I just bought a pro flex sump and am still setting it up but can I run the canister also?? And I have these other filter things that stay on the inside of tank

I would just run a protein skimmer and bring back the filter or sell it.

The other filter things, where are they? On the sump or main tank?

ya always good to run a protein skimmer on SW

and definitely an in sump one for a 125

not sure what you are referring to on the main tank, pics would help

Well right now I have the hang on back skimmer but it said it can also be in sump skimmer. Alright I'll try an take one when I get home.

I am not sure how well they perform, but it will definitely do the trick once you get your sump. You can easily find a 50 gallon sump online for $50-$100 used.

I already bought a proflex model four and just waiting for some stuff to come in the mail then I'll get it set up

Back
Top Bottom