Red BTA's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have experience with Red BTA's? Will false percs live in them? Do they have any special needs as far as water goes or lighting? I have 130w PC lights in my 29 gal. Are they easy to care for or not something to start with? TIA

Are you referring to the Rose anemone? It's the only reddish anemone I know of. It requires the same basic care as any other BTA. Good lighting (4 to 5 WPG), protein skimmer or refugium, and some pieces of squid, krill, silversides or other meaty food once a week.

Clowns do take to these anemones, but there's never any guarantee a clown or pair will host an anemone. Most do most of the time, but sometimes some don't and completely ignore an anemone.

Yeah i couldnt think of the name off the top of my head but the Rose anemone is the one. Thanks for the info!

I dont care what type of anenomie you get there is never a guarantee the clown will go to it. Mine sits by itself while my clowns have a relationship with a bubble coral and pagoda cup. 8O

Make sure you have an established tank my friend.

I have had 2 experiences with them, both moved to the back never to be seen again. :(

Well thank you for the info! i just gave up on getting one because the LFS that was going to get me one kept giving me the run around. i just went with a regular BTA. i know that the clowns may not host them but i was just wondering if the false percs would. It's not really important now but just food for thought. :) the pick that brenden showed is the one.Thanks BTW!

If the clowns are wild caught then they have a greater chance of hosting in your anemone. Clowns will host in all different types of anemones even if the relationship is not found in the wild. Once again wild caught is better for hosting and it also depends on the clown. I have a green BTA that my clowns do not host in.

I've heard from many that the false perc is the hardest clown to get to host. And unfortunately my own experience supports this opinion...

Well I know I have the tank raised false percs, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I think the BTA that i got was a green also. It has neon green bulbs on it. What is their favorite food?? I tried feeding it a silverside this weekend and he wouldnt eat it. i found it the next morning next to it.

I've fed mine mysis shrimp and small pieces of uncooked cocktail shrimp. I don't feed it that often and it has never refused food...

you need to make sure the food is not too big for the anemone so you may need to cut it. IF the anemone is new to the tank do not try feeding it for a week or so. I know people who dont feed them , they can survive on what they get from the lighting, your lighting needs to have enough watt per gal... I feed mine once or twice a month a small piece of shrimp. My clowns feed it small pieces of mysis once in a while..
The biggest thing is water quality, you need a mature tank with great water quality.
My True tank raised percs took to the BTA in a few days.. I have read that even tank raised clowns will host, it is in there geans so having tanked raised fish is not always the reason for the clown not hosting. Some clowns just won;t host with certain anemones.

I have plenty of lighting for them and i just hooked up my fuge. I have a remora on there to help out as well. I'm hoping they'll host but i'm not holding my breath. thanks for the info on feeding them. i wont worry too much now. It looks really healthy so i'll just see what happens. Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom