red slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbright

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What kind of snails, hermits, etc will eat red slime algae? Since I upgraded my lights to MH my tank is covered. I have plenty of water circulation, very lightly stocked, and I dont think I overfeed, I also do regular water changes.....but my nitrates are still around 20 so I guess this is the problem. Even with the addition of a skimmer the nitrates dont seem to ever drop. Im planning to change the CC substrate to a DSB if I can ever find the right sand around here. I havent had any luck at Home Depot stores in Tennessee. What else can I do???? Oh yeah, I always use RO/DI water too so It cant be that. What about a hang on type of refugium? I dont have much room to do a big fuge under the tank. If I do the hang on type, how would I light it? Sorry for the long post im just getting VERY frustrated!!!! :bad-words:

What about a hang on type of refugium? I dont have much room to do a big fuge under the tank
Yes, you got the idea on what can work. Also get some tangs or algae eating fish in your tank. the reason why I say that is if your ever to consider in getting an eel, puffer or trigger, they will eat your hermits & snails easy.

fighting conches eat it, not much else does eat cyano, it is probably caused in your tank by the over feeding.

I have it as well. Mine started when my skimmer broke a few weeks back. I siphon it out every day but within one day it is all back. I was hoping when I got my skimmer back it would go away, but not yet!!! :cry:

i would stet up a sump with a deep sand bed and a fuge i use a 29 gallon tank i made into a sumo it was real easy and have great results

I"m going to build a new sump/fuge out of a 40 gallon wal-mart special rubbermaid contanier. Just not sure how to set it up yet, so when I figure that out bye bye wet/dry filter.

I think we need a 10 step cyano guide on this site. Anyway...

1. Cut lighting period in half
2. check for PHOSPHATES if youre using tap and not ro/di water.
3. Use ro/di water from a store (safeway has glacier water which is good stuff for .29 cents a gallon) if you dont have an ro/di unit.
4. Skim, Skim , Skim
5. Nassarius for dsb, Astrea for lr, its just that simple.
6. If your nitrates are 20ppm then do a 25% wc, 10% will only cut the nitrates by 10% , cool huh? :)
7. Keep circulation high to avoid attachment of it.
8. Keep ca/alk high and use a 2 part dosing system like b-ionic to encourage coralline growth which inhibits nuisance algae like cyano.
9. Feed sparingly, phytoplankton 1-2 times a week and brine shrimp maybe once a week depending on whats in your tank.
10. Be patient, even the best tanks get cyano its just a pita algae and it comes and goes.

Hope that helps if anyone else wants to chime in go for it :)

Back
Top Bottom