Redoing my 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bribo12

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I'm at my wits end. I cannot beat this algae and I'm thinking my sandbed is the root of all evils. So I need a plan to take my rock out which has a bunch of acros and other sps attached to it and scrub off the gha and then pull my sand out. Ugh this sucks a lot lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How have you tried to kill the algae?
Nothing has worked or helped?
Sorry if I'm late to the show.
What kind of sand?

Hydrogen peroxide, vinegar dosing, water changes and pulling it out, running phosguard, over skimming, cut feeding back to 2-3 times a week. I've also cut my lights back to about 8 hours and it just keeps coming back...

The sandbed was reused from my old 10 gallon and is aragonite based and about 2.5 years old, maybe a little more.

Phosguard sucks, and so does GFO, at removing large amounts of phospahtes, they can't do it quickly enough. They exhaust to quickly, and you must change like every other day.
Use SeaKlear phosphate remover, you can take out all phosphates in one day, you'll need to use a mechanical filter to take out the bound phosphates though. Once you've removed them, then you can use Phosguard or GFO.
Have you tried using a Sea Hare? Thats all they eat is algae, and would love to be in your tank.

Don't suddenly crash your phosphate level, that can cause dramatic problems. Work it down with lots of water exchanges. Once it's under control use a bag of phosguard or GFO in a high flow area to keep it down. I dont think its the aragonite to blame.

Seaclear is lanthanum chloride, used primarily in swimming pools. It does bind phosphates, fast, but is controversial in its use as its powerful and throws off contaminates that must be removed immediately thru filtration. If your phosphate disappears over night, your hard corals will respond and some will respond badly. You want to do things gradually. JMO ;-)

Last edited:
Don't suddenly crash your phosphate level, that can cause dramatic problems. Work it down with lots of water exchanges. Once it's under control use a bag of phosguard or GFO in a high flow area to keep it down. I dont think its the aragonite to blame.

So you don't think it will just keep leaching phosphates into the system if I keep working the water changes?

It will eventually stop. If phosphates aren't reintroduced by over feeding or using tap water, then the source of the phosphates is reduced to manageable levels. You might vacuum the sand with a siphon when doing water exchanges to flush out any trapped organic matter in the sand. Aragonite sand doesn't contain phosphate. It is basically calcium carbonate (ground limestone or coral).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aragonite

Last edited:
It will eventually stop. If phosphates aren't reintroduced by over feeding or using tap water, then the source of the phosphates is reduced to manageable levels. You might vacuum the sand with a siphon when doing water exchanges to flush out any trapped organic matter in the sand. Aragonite sand doesn't contain phosphate. It is basically calcium carbonate (ground limestone or coral).

Yeah I know that. I guess I was thinking it had some trapped from when I reused it again.

That's why a simple siphon with a soda bottle with no bottom can remove that debris before it breaks down further.
Eventually enough biology will develop in the substrate to help with the situation.

That's why a simple siphon with a soda bottle with no bottom can remove that debris before it breaks down further.
Eventually enough biology will develop in the substrate to help with the situation.

Ok cool. It's just sad because the corals are doing well and have good color but the algae is just ugh

How old is the system? GHA is a very common problem. Healthy corals will not allow it to grow on them, but everything else can get pretty messed up. Any creature you place in the aquarium to eat it, just recycles the organics that cause the algae. They can help, but aren't a cure. Removing the organic matter thru filtration and/or water exchanges is your best long term bet.

I use a ATS for over 20 years that uses algae to fight algae. Overkill for a small system though.

Last edited:
I don't remember seeing a phosphate number. What is your tank reading? If you have SPS, they hate high levels of phosphates, I'd think you would be having issues with them already.

The tank is almost 3 years old now. I'm getting a .03 on my Hanna checker for phosphates when I tested the other day. I'll test again when I get home. My sps all have good color and moderate growth. I'm assuming the algae is taking it up as fast as it is leaching out though

let me ask this are you running charcoal , I stopped running it in mine and all algae stopped almost instantly and I never seen such a sparkling tank before , who would have thought charcoal could cause such havoc , the charcoal also kept phosphates up

Some charcoal is loaded with phosphates. Check the packaging. A faulty or old RO/DI system can also add unwanted organics.

The live rock will leach P04 if there is die off, but a three year old tank, that should be over with. It's excess organic material, not just P04 that is driving the GHA. Your right, your readings are low because the algae binds the P04 before it can show on a test kit. A filter medium like GFO, will compete with the algae and eventually win as it also is an effective binding agent for phosphates. Everything happens suddenly in a small system, so work slowly and make any changes gradually.

Last edited:
Nope no carbon but the rodi is due for a change. I'll look into getting my hands on some GFO. Looks like I'll keep up the 2x weekly water changes and just pull it out.

Its not the phosphates causing you your trouble.
Whats your TDS from your RO/DI reading?

Back
Top Bottom