Reef Crystals buckets through mail order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a heads up...

If you order Reef Crystals through mail order, make sure the lids are screwed on tight when you get them. If they aren't, you might want to think about whether or not you want to put it in your tank.

I don't know if it's a problem with FedEx, with Marineland, or with DrFosterSmith, but the last bucket of RC I ordered came with the lid just sitting - yes, literally sitting - on the bucket. Normally, you need to hammer those lids off as they're screwed on so tight. So I called and complained to DrFosterSmith and they sent me out a new bucket. I threw away the opened one.

Well... the replacement bucket lid wasn't screwed on tight either! It was on about a 1/4 turn and that was it. At that point, I just asked for my money back from DFS and threw away that bucket too.

I'm not sure where the problem is, but I find it hard to believe the lids are coming loose during shipment. Those things are normally on tighter than tight.

From now on, I'm going to buying my salt locally, but I wanted to give folks a heads up about a possible quality issue out there. I can't imagine I'm the only one that's getting opened buckets of salt. (And no... I don't have bad neighbors that are opening it up - someone's been home when they've been delivered.) Receiving an unsealed bucket really makes you wonder what all could be in there.

Direct the blame where it is due

Kurt...try calling UPS and Fedex and really complaining....I feel your pain as I had several bad experiences last winter with them. There has been a tremendous sales of salt due to specials running out the end of April. Buckets have been order in mass quantities and the drivers are "getting back". They try to leave mine a field away from my home so they don't have to lug them that distance. They even left my box of LR out in the snow with no covering. I try to order wet merchandise when the weather is going to be dry and not so cold so I can meet them. I just ordered 4 gobies from F&S and luckily I got an excellent older gentleman. I told him about what was happening and He reported them for me. I had reported a month earlier directly to the head office around our area also. UPS is just as bad if you don't get a local driver. They should be thankful for their job.

Help us all out and report the lazy unprincipled creeps !!!! Give them heck.

Pretty sure it's someone at the facilities opening them up to be nosy then not tightening them back up like there suppose to be.

What would be the purpose of opening a 50+lb bucket of salt among hundreds going out each day? I just got 3 buckets and had to use a hammer.

The plot thickens....

Well, Kurt...my turn to be the object of returns...ordered the Azoo battery operated back up and it runs on electric but not battery..The outside mailing and inside box are both warped and the lid over the batteries is broken..Naturally, them being who they are, F&S are sending me another expediated mail and I will return this one. Just in time for the storms also. I would love to see someone doing the damage to people's merchandise that work hard for what they have and take a picture. It makes me sick to think that anyone would get satisfaction from someone else's misfortune. Oh, well...what goes around comes around in the end

============

Curly

I personally don't think the problem is with FedEx. While my post was about the salt lids, in that same order I had issues with damage to something in a separate box - and there's no way is was a FedEx problem. It was just how it was packaged in the box. As a shipper, you have to assume that gorillas are going to handle your packages, and pack accordingly. Been there, done that. And F&S have normally done that in the past.

I normally order the same stuff every few months from F&S. It normally comes packaged the same way inside the box. This time was different. Personally, I think something has changed internally at F&S with the way they ship things. Maybe a different manager, maybe not packaging things inside the box as well as before to save some time/money... who knows.

You're right though... F&S has the best customer service out there, so they'll always make it right. But personally, I'd rather have it right the first time and not have to hassle with things every time I order.

I don't mean for this to be a bash on F&S... I just wanted folks to check their lids if they're receiving salt mail order, and if it's loose to really think twice about using it.

For those that order salt online, you can get the new 200g boxes of either IO or RC. They contain 4 individually sealed 50g bags. No worries about lids.
I just picked up a 200g mix of IO from my LFS for $35.

For those that order salt online, you can get the new 200g boxes of either IO or RC. They contain 4 individually sealed 50g bags. No worries about lids.

When I saw that new packaging being introduced I just couldn't think it would stand up too well with being shipped one at a time via normal residential shipping service. With how bashed in boxes arrive, I could just imagine something puncturing the side of one of the boxes, going through the bag, and leaving a trail of salt mix all along the way! I'm sure Marineland tested the packaging, but in my opinion it looks like a disaster waiting to happen, from a shipping standpoint.

I just picked up a 200g mix of IO from my LFS for $35.

Good price. I've vowed to do salt locally from now on. I probably should've been doing it all along to support my local guys. (Even though I support them a fair bit with corals! :rolleyes:)

Back
Top Bottom