Reef Lobsters ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lionfish210

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, heres the deal.

I have been looking at a reef lobster for my 75 Gallon reef aquarium, but I need some experience. Which species would be best for this setup. I was thinking Daums or Voigtmanns lobsters. Also this is what I have in my tank . . .

1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Tomato clown
1 Occelaris clown
1 Firefish
1 Engineer Goby
1 Humbug
1 Sixline Wrasse
1 Deresa Clam
and a LOT of coral, fan worms and various shrimp and crabs

I have had a purple or hairy reef lobster(purple N red w/ with polka dots) in my reef tank for 6 years, and I have never had any problems with him. Granted, I never see him period unless I go looking, but never seen him pick at any coral. The only fish I would be concerned with, are your bottom dwellers. Every so often I'll lose a firefish or something. Probably is the lobster, but overall he's been fine. Bought him he was 3/4 inch, now he's about 5 inches! Thought he'd be a great scavenger

Reef lobsters are great from my experience, there nice when you get to see them, my lobster just happened to make his den where I could see him, but when ever I had a sick fish threw out the years, he seemed to take advantage of them, lord knows my lobster had some expensive meals...

Iv'e been looking at a 4 in Voigtmanns lobster at my lfs. They say he's been in their 225 gallon show tank, and has never done anything to the fish. He's about $45, and seems ok.

circus clowns said:
Reef lobsters are great from my experience, there nice when you get to see them, my lobster just happened to make his den where I could see him, but when ever I had a sick fish threw out the years, he seemed to take advantage of them, lord knows my lobster had some expensive meals...
Im lucky i guess mine only eats cheap fish

Back
Top Bottom