Reef safe Sand sifters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diverdude

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know of a species of critter, ie; Goby, pistolshrimp... that is a good sand sifter that will not destroy a live DSB?

For a DSB, the "sifters" you want are pods, and worms and maybe some minibrittle stars. Other critters that may help are sea cucumbers, nassarius snails, cerrith snails and fighting conchs. Any of the sand sifting fish or gobies will be sifting for your pods and worms...to eat.

I read on another forum that there was at least one gobie that wouldn't eat the fauna, featured in an article in one of the hobbiest magazines....but the poster couldn't specify which gobie it was, and my experience with these fish has indicated otherwise.

In the December issue of Aquarium Fish they had an article about the Helpful Sand Sifters the Sleeper Gobies, I went to their site to see if they had an archive so I could post the link for you http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquafish/library/articleview.asp?Section=&RecordNo=350

Hope this is helpful as far as the gobies goes, it was for us we were thinking of going gobies but then fell in love with the scooter blennies and also got a a brittle star and the hermits seem to mix up the sand also.

Kaurene

Back
Top Bottom