Refractiometer readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin1982

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a new Refractiometer and I'm having trouble understanding the readings. It's giving me a "brix%" and I don't know how to translate that to salinity or specific gravity. Any thoughts or did I simply buy the wrong style of Refractiometer?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1445280575740.jpg
    1445280575740.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 156
If I'm reading it correctly....

Think of it like this:

Your current reading is: 1.004

If you was up at the 25 it would be: 1.025

That make a bit more sense?

Caleb

Well I can see how you could come up with that, but I'm mixing the salt as it states on the bucket and this is the reading I'm getting. In addition, this isn't a new tank and I've got corals and a couple fish that have been thriving since day one. I would think that 1.004 would be wayyyy too low.

I've never seen one like that , yes I can see why you would have a hard time reading it
looks like a thermometer it would confuse me to , this is the type most of us use
they are the most accurate takes a few times to understand it but it's a walk in the park
once you figure it out
refractometer.jpg

I found mine on clearance for under 30 bucks
once you figure out how it works you will never go back to a hydrometer

From what I can tell, that's exactly what I'm using

Attachments

• 1445283807223.jpg
    1445283807223.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 128
I recently purchased a new Refractiometer and I'm having trouble understanding the readings. It's giving me a "brix%" and I don't know how to translate that to salinity or specific gravity. Any thoughts or did I simply buy the wrong style of Refractiometer?

Yes you bought a refractometer used for brewery and not for salt water aquarium. You can still use it but it will only give you a few usable graduation on its scale. The 1.020 spec. grav will be at 5 brix, while 1.024 is 6 and 1.028 is 7. So you end up with not so accurate refractometer. It will be difficult to get a reading of say 1.0245

Well that has been the best help so far. Seems to make more sense of my situation. Thank you all for your replies. Guess I'm in the market for a new one.

Well I can see how you could come up with that, but I'm mixing the salt as it states on the bucket and this is the reading I'm getting. In addition, this isn't a new tank and I've got corals and a couple fish that have been thriving since day one. I would think that 1.004 would be wayyyy too low.

Then why can't you compare the 'brix' to real sg???
Surely you haven't been keeping corals and fish healthy since "day one" without some form of measuring that you understand?????

How long has tank been set up?

Brix is for brewing booze.:drinking:
use this conversion;
Brix Conversion Calculator - Brewer's Friend

1.025 sg should be around 6.3 brix.

IF this workks for reef????
Never seen it before.

I've been using a hydrometer but wanted a bit more accuracy. So I bought a refractometer, but apparently the wrong style.

I made this mistake and had the sugar one for brewery like yours. I found it much easier and accurate to buy a proper hydrometer.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom