Replacing filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got an Eheim canister filter, which has 2 baskets with eheifsubstrat filter media balls in them.

How often should I be replacing the media (keeping 1/3 behind for bacteria etc.)?

Bio balls are never meant to be replaced. Is this what you are talking about? Those little plastic or ceramic balls?

Are you going to be using the canister as your primary biological filter, or are you using LR? If you are using LR, then the only thing I would put in the canister is carbon.

this stuff is not bio balls. It's sintered glass. If you choose to run a canister filter, and have only fish, you should be OK... You should remove the media and wash it out in clean salt water every month or so to avoid buildup of gunk which would otherwise cause trouble.

Agreed with the LR statement

They're not bio-balls, they're sort of like cereal balls (!), an alternative to a normal sponge filter.

I read that 2/3 of them have to be replaced every 18 months or something?

I've got some baserock, which will be live by now. It's a big piece, about 13"w x 8"d x 7"h, and also livesand, about 2" of it.

Back
Top Bottom