Replacing my substrate...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an established 72G with crushed coral substrate. I have been having nitrate problems recently and believe the crushed coral is the reason. I have never really liked the look of the crushed coral so wanted to change it anyway. I have began to siphon out a little bit each day (followed by a PWC) and have been very careful not to stir up a mess.

My question is what substrate should I use, I am assuming dry aragonite, but how fine should I go and how many lbs would you recommend for a 72 bow?

Is there a cheaper substrate that is just as good, like play sand etc.

Thanks!

I use a moderate size grain. When you take it out only do a 1/4 size plot of your substrate by siphoning out the CC and sliding the rinsed out aragonite down a piece of PVC. Once things are settled a few days down the road do another 1/4 plot till you are finished.

melosu58 said:
I use a moderate size grain. When you take it out only do a 1/4 size plot of your substrate by siphoning out the CC and sliding the rinsed out aragonite down a piece of PVC. Once things are settled a few days down the road do another 1/4 plot till you are finished.

Thanks, I've just taken 1/4 of it out and will wait a few days until the next change.

Would it be okay to put the new substrate in after all of the old stuff is out? Which would leave the bottom bare for a few days. Or should I add a 1/4 when I take out a 1/4?

Thanks

I just replaced my 10 year old CC.
I only did 1/4 of the tank at a time so the old substrate could seed the new sand with bacteria. Then after 2 weeks I did another 1/4 and so on.
To replace the CC I used Tropic Eden Reeflakes Aragonite Sand , that I purchased from Premium Aquatics in Indy.
It is perfect.
Great size because I wanted to add sand sifting gobies to my established tank.
I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Back
Top Bottom