Reusing QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a fish in a qt tank right now treating with cupramine for ich. After about four weeks i plan on putting him into my main tank and purchasing another fish, My question is what should i do in the qt tank. Do i change all off the water just run carbon or what?
Thanks

Richard

Cupramine, after a long period will become undetectable. What I did in my 20g qt after using Cupramine, was to wait a month or so, take out about 10 - 12g of water, and mix the rest new. It works good for me so far. IMO, a little trace of the cupramine, wouldnt hurt the fish. :wink:

Being sure a med is properly removed can be quite important and I would not recommend leaving any remanants. There are many alternate treatment methods for varying parasites that can be leathal to the fish when mixed.

I would still suggest running with carbon or a polyfilter combined with a good sized water change. Cupramine is typically a 2-3 week treatment but once the treatment is done, i'ts best to remove the med and allow the fish to remain in the QT for an additional 2-3 weeks. This gives an appropriate amount of time to pass to ensure the treatment was successful before transfering to the display tank.

Cheers
Steve

Ideally a QT is taken down between quarinteens. When I say taken down I am basicly saying tank drained and all components cleaned.

IMHO, I must agree with Fishfreek. I know it sounds like a pain, but I am a firm believer in breaking down the QT after every transfer. I basically do a complete drain down, refill and bleach to sterilize, then refill and condition only when I am ready to add new stock. HTH 8)

Back
Top Bottom