Rust in the water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sqasnatch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I was cleaning out my sump and I relized one of my hose clamps was getting wet and dripping rust into the water. Would this cause an algea outbreak? Or have other I'll effects

Sqasnatch said:
So I was cleaning out my sump and I relized one of my hose clamps was getting wet and dripping rust into the water. Would this cause an algea outbreak? Or have other I'll effects

You need to the the plastic clamps or use zip ties.Don't use the stainless steel or any metal ones.Hopefully if you are running carbon in your filter it will pick up whatever dripped.

Not sure

I don't think it will hurt anything being iron. If it was copper, it would be bad. Water changes will eventually snare it. It might promote a bit of algae as I believe plants like some iron.

Ok thanx guys I removed the clamp soon as I noticed it and put in a fresh bag of carbon right away.

It could help. Cyano is particularly fond of iron, it also makes green algae color up and certain species of macroalgae are rich in iron suggesting they require it for strong growth. hair algae, ulva and other fleshy or stringy green algae like members of the Enteromorpha family use it. It wouldn't be iron alone, nutrients like nitrates and phosphates would still have to be present, but it could help fuel a bloom of certain types of algae that are usually considered nuisances.

But what you are describing doesnt seem like much of a problem like they said^, I just felt like typing. :)

Back
Top Bottom