Sand Beds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone,
Im moving my 55 gallon to a 75 gallon. In my 55, I've always had a very shallow bed ( 15lbs for a 55 gallon).. is it necessary to have a DSB ( deep sand bed) for the health of the aquarium? My 55 seemed to do just fine with a shallow bed, but was curious. I have 40# in the 75 at the moment.. which makes a shallow ( but deeper than it was in my 55) sand bed. I dont plan on having any burrowing critters really..

Curious to hear input and thoughts on this.. thanks!

Necessary? I wouldn't say so looking at the 2 display tanks in my LFS.

The guy that runs it (it's won UK marine retailer of the year 3 times in the last 6 years) has been in the marine game since 1977, he swears by bare bottom tanks and good flow.

I got rid of the sand in my tank 3 months ago on his advice and since then I've had sparkling parameters and not a single problem with algaes or death of anything whatsoever. So I'd say no, it's not necessary at all.

I`ve had a shallow sand bed for 13 yrs now with no problem. No you really do not have to have a DSB.

Thanks for the info :) was really debating on buying more sand or not, I think I'll stick with the shallow bed then

I`m sure they might be beneficial but I dont like the look of them. Too much sand.

Back
Top Bottom