Schooling Bannerfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have any 1st hand experiences with these guys? Tank, food, tankmate requirments and such would be helpful. There isnt alot of info on these guys out there really, and i trust experience more anyways. Would one work in a 38x21x27 66 gallon reef tank?

Do you mean long fin bannerfish like a heniochus? I had one for a week before I returned mine. He ate great but he was a big bully for me.

I've had several. I thing there great fish. I have one now and he eats anything I put in the tank including lettuce. The 66 should be ok they need a min. of 55.

Thats good to hear! Are they generally hard to get to eat? And they are reef safe right? :) cool i love these fish!

If you have corals you should keep an eye on them but they should be ok their listed as monitor

What do they eat? What size tank? Tank mates? Thanks!!
I feed him flake, brine, pellets and he'll eat roman lettuce. I have a 90gal. with a flame 2 clowns, a naso, 2 damsels a royal gamma 3 gobys a sand sifting star and 2 blood shrimp.

tonedogz said:
I feed him flake, brine, pellets and he'll eat roman lettuce. I have a 90gal. with a flame 2 clowns, a naso, 2 damsels a royal gamma 3 gobys a sand sifting star and 2 blood shrimp.

Very cool! So, would a banner eat Nori? Ill be feeding that to an angelfish every day. Are they agressive so they should be added last?

Yes I would add last. Mine actually started to mess with my porc puffer so I grabbed him out before chop let him have it and returned him. Also they will eat parasites off other fish so if the others are sensitive they might not respond well to that. It's something to consider before buying one.

Okay awesome, we might want a 2spot bristletooth tang, but we are not sure yet. Also considering a exquisit fairy wrasse and the bannerfish, which should be added last? Are bannetfish prone to ich?

they'll eat just about anything. I've never had one that was aggressive so you can put it in whenever.

Sounds decent enough. Dang, weve got to save for some expensive fish! We want a flame, so thatll be 30-40 too

Schooling banners are great fish- just make sure you have the schooling banner and not it's counterpart.

Jlsardina said:
Schooling banners are great fish- just make sure you have the schooling banner and not it's counterpart.

The moorish idol right? Ya, that would be bad lol.

Are they totally reef safe?

Gboy66 said:
The moorish idol right? Ya, that would be bad lol.

Are they totally reef safe?

No. The Heniochus acuminatus. The schooling banner is very preaceful and reef safe. The Heniochus acuminatus is not reef safe at all

Jlsardina said:
No. The Heniochus acuminatus. The schooling banner is very preaceful and reef safe. The Heniochus acuminatus is not reef safe at all

Ooh! Okay. Is there a distinct difference between the two that i should know? Also, could a banner live out its life in a 66gallon, 38x21x26.5 tank?

Back
Top Bottom