Sharks and such

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram0040

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with sharks. I haven't the tank or the funds to even think about trying one out but its a topic that interest me. I would like to hear anything you have to say on the subject and would love to see some photos if anyone currently has one in their aquarium.

thanks

I was the person wanting the banded cat shark and I strongly recommend you do not do it. I really wanted one and thought I was up to the challenge. Unless you have thousands of dollars for a 180+ gallon tank filtration and lighting, and are willing to have a shark and only a shark do not do it. learned the hard way as you can see. They are really cool but this one should be left for the pros, or the zoo. Good luck.

Oh, I have no intention of getting one anytime in the near future. I know what my tanks cost me and can't even think about upgrading much less to something that big. I was just interested in hearing of anyone's expeiences.

Thanks for the replies, though...and keep 'em coming. Would you tell me a little more about your experience sharkman?

I had wanted a shark really bad and they happened to have on at the local fish store. I bought it after talking to the "experts" he thougt I would be able to keep it in my 45 gallon tank for about a year or two. I did my own research on this forum and boy was he wrong. It was beautiful but very hard to care for, for even the week that I had it? I returned it a few days after buying it.

A guy i work with had several sharks in a 240gal tank he had here at work. I dont know what kind they were but they seemed to do very well and werent that difficult to care for. He just threw some squid in a couple times a week. He also had a puffer, hawk fish, 2 yellow tangs, 2 groupers, and green chromis (that were slowly getting picked off by the meat eaters). The tank was great until the center brace came unglued. He ended up giving all the fish away and getting rid of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom