Should I be buffering my water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blorkiemom

Aquarium Advice Freak
The pH in my 20 G QT has been running low--scraping 8 or just under. I've read that pH fluctuates a lot in new tanks, so I haven't worried much. But I mixed up some new water yesterday . . . 6 gallons of IO in a covered rubbermaid tub for 24 hours with a maxijet 1200 (using RO water from the grocery store machine). When I checked the pH, it was only 7.95! So it's not the tank lowering the pH, it's the fresh water I'm adding. I thought salt mixes were supposed to have buffers in them . . .? Should I be adding buffer to the fresh water, or to the tank? If to the water, can I add the buffer before storing the mixed SW for a week or more?

Sorry for the spate of questions, but I can see that I need to get a handle on this sooner rather than later. Thanks for any suggestions.

blorkiemom said:
in a covered rubbermaid tub
That's the reason the pH was low. You need to mix without cover for while to let the pH come back up.

But if that doesn't work then it's not uncommon to need to buffer often in a QT setting.

I was wondering about that! I keep the lid on to prevent, you know, junk from getting in there. I'll run uncovered with a ph for a while and see if that helps. I hope so as I don't want to have to battle pH in my big tank, too.

It's a good idea to use the lid for the most part.. just take it off for an hour or two before you need the water.

Back
Top Bottom