Should i go for a sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongeynip

Aquarium Advice Regular
For a long time, I have gotten everything as HOB and it was good. But now that i am almost done buying all my equipment, the labirynth of the skimmer, filter, uv sterilizer, power cords, power heads, and soon to be a phosban reactor is getting rediculous! But I only have a 29 gal tank, and no fuge. I have a small quarantine but only for temporary purposes. Would a sump be fopr better or worse (btw, it has to be on a tight budget).
Thanx
-Trent

Ya you can put a sump on there i would do it if i was you. Just for the mear fact that you can put all your equipment in the sump and not have any hanging on the back of the tank. You will either have to drill the tank or get a HOB over the tank overflow. I actually have a HOB overflow if you might be interested. Give me a PM if you are. HTH

You don't have to have a large budget to have a sump. Having the space for it is the key. Most people put it underneath their display tank. Do you have room under yours? I put mine behind a wall in my basement so you can't even see it. You can look at buying a used aquarium to use as a sump or a plastic tub. I used an old aquarium so I can look inside of it... it's pretty cool to watch the pods and other critters that reproduce inside of it. Even better, convert some of it into a refugium with some macoalgae and live rock rubble.

Before I redid my tank it had a sump it was great hid the equipment and everything BUT! IT was the loudest thing I;ve ever heard come from a fish tank. Now I have a HOB and it looks fine. The only excess equipment in my tank is the in and on of the HOB and power head for a protien skimmer. I perfer no sump seems like my tank is even doing better w.o on. But that just my opinion if you would like to see pics of the tank with HOB and Skimmer let me know.

if you do it right you will barely hear the sump. i would say it is quiter than all the hob stuff if you have a closed cabinet.

I went with an open sump and my was it noisy the HOB it may have just been me IDK but I had a bad experience :-\

Both of my sumps were/are silent. It all depends on how it is made and how it is installed that will make it silent or loud. My mag 9.5 is silent, and so is the sedra pump on my euro-reef skimmer. What you need to do to make your sump silent:

First, make sure that there are no sudden drop-offs like waterfalls. If you look here on my sump where water is dropped into first, there is a drop-off, but I angled a 2" piece of glass so that it gently lowers into the next compartment w/o a waterfall.

img_418045_0_496d92108faba99abcf298f325614281.jpg

Second, make yourself a durso standpipe. go to http://www.dursostandpipes.com and click on "popular modifications" and then on "hangon overflow". This is a super easy way to make a unit for $5 that will stop the toilet gurgle sound that traditional overflows make. I have two on my 60, and I can't hear a thing.

img_418045_1_84b1a1e2321385a6f1689fa6d5fcfb48.jpg

Lastly, make sure that your return lines from the main sump pump are positioned away from the water surface enough so that no water is splashed around. Some people like this sound, some people don't. I personally don't, and choose rather to point a PH up so that it ripples the water. I have 4 returns on my tank, and all of them are silent.

img_418045_2_765d3f9608d3f342407d8aa11d1b5928.jpg

When the power shuts off and the backflow syphon starts, it'll only drain about 1/2 inch before air is introduced to the system, thereby stoping the syphon. The water in my sump only rises by 1" ... so no danger of a possible sump overflow. All of these things will help to keep your sump silent. As a word of comparison... I used to have an Emperor 280 on my old 29 gal setup... and that thing was LOUD compared to my sump now. 8)

HTH

Back
Top Bottom