Shrimp compatability question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonForce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 37 LPS/soft/anemone reef w/ ~70# LR. My question is if I have room for a skunk cleaner shrimp or not?

Inverts:
1 pistol shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp went missing the other day, could possibly be molting and hiding.
1 emerald crab
1 serpent starfish
bunch of hermits and snails
2 small rock boring urchins (hitchhikers, finding a home for 1 of them soon)
1 tigertail cucumber that hides in the rock work sticking only its head out (I never see it)

Fish:
2 true percula clowns
1 randalls goby
1 sixline wrasse

I like the skunk cleaners because they are out more often and are nicer but I'm just wondering if I have room for another.

I change about 10g weekly, sometimes every other week(in case anyone wants to know)

Shrimp dont add too much to the bio load but I`ve heard horrible stories about the CBS and other shrimp when they get crowded. That is my concern.

I've also heard skunk shrimp don't get on well with peppermints.

quixand said:
I've also heard skunk shrimp don't get on well with peppermints.
I haven't had any problems with peppermints and skunks in the same tank... yet, but just like everything else in this hobby, results may (and will) vary. :wink:

I've also been warned about the CBS by my LFS so I've never bought one as I have peppermints and/or skunks in all my tanks.

My CBS was awfully mean. I waited to add new shrimp to the tank until he died (that sounds bad, doesn't it?). Anyways, it would be a risk if my opinion and since skunks are expensive (atleast around here they are) it would be up to you whether you want to take it or not. I agree though with the others, you do have the room for it, just dependent on the agression or lack thereof of your other shrimp.

HTH

Devilishturtles said:
My CBS was awfully mean.
My CBS is very territorial but doesn't go after anything unless it invades it's space and most things are too fast for it to do any damage. Only thing you might want to consider is buying a larger cleaner if you do decide to do it.

My CBS is about 2 years old, and my cleaner shrimp (skunk) is about 1.5 yrs old. I also have 3 peppermint shrimp. All of this in a 55gal and no problems.

Back
Top Bottom