Stand problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougaran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I bought a beautiful sedona 90 gallon stand and set it up, unfortunately the bottom of my tank is a 1/4" to big. Any suggestions other than cut out a 1/4"+ out of the stand. You need the bottom plastic trim for tank integrity and keep the stress off the tank, right?

Yes you need the bottom plastic trim of the tank. That is what keeps the weight of the tank on the sides of the tank and not the center. Are you able to return the stand? That would be best. But if not, is there a lip on the stand that the tank sits in or is it a flat top? If it is flat then you could place another top on the stand for the tank to rest upon.

Its a lip that the tank sits in, i figured the plastic trim on the bottom is needed. I have a feeling I'm going to have to do some cutting in the wood though. :cry: :cry: :cry: Can't return it as it is mail order and it isn't worth disassembling it.

The bottom trim isnt as important as the top.. since you have a solid peace of glass on the bottom that holds the corners together.. I wouldnt get rid of it if it were me though.. I would modify the stand before altering the tank...

Alter the stand, not the tank. Wood is easy to fix. Glass, on the other hand, is not. Last thing you need is you waking up to 90 gal of water flooding your living room, ruining your nice new stand. 8O

well not having a picture, just take that wood trim off the base area there. Run it through a planer and take 1/8" off each side.

It's kind of like a picture frame that sits on top of the tank stand, then the tank bottom goes inside. I thought about the planer but that would mean tearing the frame apart and regluing it. I was thinking of measuring out 1/4"+ and marking it on the wood and then use a router set to the right depth and take out the excess material.

You could do that it would be trickier.

If you get some finish nails they dont leave as big of holes about.

Back
Top Bottom