Sting Rays?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They will consume mobile invertebrates, but tend to leave coral alone other than either knocking them about or burying them. If you are considering one, I hope you have a fairly large tank ;)

They will consume mobile invertebrates, but tend to leave coral alone other than either knocking them about or burying them. If you are considering one, I hope you have a fairly large tank ;)

I was but I will wait till I got something 100+ gallons..

Thanks

Make that 500g+ and moreso in the range of 1400g+ unless you purchase a custom tank with much more width and length than height ;) They are not for beginner aquarists by anymeans, for anyone else who might be reading this :)

I was but I will wait till I got something 100+ gallons..

Thanks

Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but they need a much larger tank as James said. IMO they just should not be in the home aquarium. I would go see them at the public aquariums.

Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but they need a much larger tank as James said. IMO they just should not be in the home aquarium. I would go see them at the public aquariums.

Really for Dwarf Rays? I read somewhere that there are dwarf rays which could be kept in an home Aqaurium..... They stay the size of a Baseball.... But i have to find the link again...

Even a dwarf ray would really be incompatible with a reef tank. Rays prefer open sandy bottom, and are also large waste producers. These two factors sort of exclude them from being good reef tank inhabitants. I agree, I would go visit them in a public aquarium or in their natural setting.

Even a dwarf ray would really be incompatible with a reef tank. Rays prefer open sandy bottom, and are also large waste producers. These two factors sort of exclude them from being good reef tank inhabitants. I agree, I would go visit them in a public aquarium or in their natural setting.

Alright..... Public Aquarium it is then....

Can you get a scientific name on the marine dwarf stingray you are talking about? The only "teacup" rays I know of are the freshwater Potamotrygon orbignyi (reticulatus), which still get just over 1' in disc diameter.

What is wrong with dreaming up some massive tank and getting to stock it with what you want. I would like to think that I can have as big a tank as I want in the house as long I get eveything neccesary. I hope to one day have a huge tank. I would like to build one pretty much as big as I can fit in my basement. I know that everyone shares a concern for the fish that we stock in our tanks, but whats wrong with building your dream tank?

If someone wants to build a tank at home to support a ray, then why not continue to offer the excellent advise and support to them to acheive their goal.

Who is not doing that? I think the point has been made that you need a very large tank. By all means go for your dream tank. The advice was that a smaller tank will not work. If you have the means then do it. We were addressing Tank and giving him our advice. You are sharing yours. He is free to accept or reject any advice.

Have a look at this thread to get an idea of what it takes to keep a stingray in a reef tank. They are really animals best left in the ocean. Our tanks just aren't large enough to support them.

Who is not doing that? I think the point has been made that you need a very large tank. By all means go for your dream tank. The advice was that a smaller tank will not work. If you have the means then do it. We were addressing Tank and giving him our advice. You are sharing yours. He is free to accept or reject any advice.

Have a look at this thread to get an idea of what it takes to keep a stingray in a reef tank. They are really animals best left in the ocean. Our tanks just aren't large enough to support them.

Oh no.... I agree with you guys 100%... I was just wondering if string rays were good or not..... and it has been agree that they are not to be kept in tanks.... Thank for advise guys....:)

What is wrong with dreaming up some massive tank and getting to stock it with what you want. I would like to think that I can have as big a tank as I want in the house as long I get eveything neccesary. I hope to one day have a huge tank. I would like to build one pretty much as big as I can fit in my basement. I know that everyone shares a concern for the fish that we stock in our tanks, but whats wrong with building your dream tank?

If someone wants to build a tank at home to support a ray, then why not continue to offer the excellent advise and support to them to acheive their goal.
This is a valid point but with all the variables in caring for things I would assume you would want to be a marine biologist before tackling such a creature

I don't think one has to be a marine biologist or biologist, but one does have to have a greater understanding of aquatic animals than what you read in magazines or websites along with many years of hands-on training with a variety of "exotic" aquatics in general. Most people think that, even with "teacup varieties," you can stick them in a glass box with just enough room to turn around and they will be fine, but this is overly simplistic. I for one did not take the OP as a serious question per the husbandry requirements of a stingray, whether it be fw or sw, and by all means anyone has the right to dream big, but only a small % have the capabilities in bringing such a dream to life.

Back
Top Bottom