stocking advice for 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReeferChick420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
good evening everyone... my aquarium has been cycling for about a month and a few days. I have a Damsel, and two sally lightfoot crabs, I have black sand so I want to get bright colored fish and coral. I only plan to have about five fish, and I also plan on tAking out the damsel and returning it to the fish store... I plan on getting two ocellaris clownfish (the ones that look like a puzzle piece), a flame angel, a yellow tang, a mandarin dragonet(but after about a year so my tank can mature enough); those are the fish that I want to get for a fact. I want to get about two more fish and that's it because I want it to be a reef aquarium so all these fish must be reef safe. these are some options for my last two fish... a Bartlett's anthias, one or two of the yellow assessors or a canary fang blenny, magenta dottyback, royal gamma.(I will most likely get one of these fishes any suggestions on which one to chose that is reef safe and good with the other fish I chose. also I know some of these fishes are more aggressive so is there any fish that I should add in first or last :dance:thankyou very much

good evening everyone... my aquarium has been cycling for about a month and a few days. I have a Damsel, and two sally lightfoot crabs, I have black sand so I want to get bright colored fish and coral. I only plan to have about five fish, and I also plan on tAking out the damsel and returning it to the fish store... I plan on getting two ocellaris clownfish (the ones that look like a puzzle piece), a flame angel, a yellow tang, a mandarin dragonet(but after about a year so my tank can mature enough); those are the fish that I want to get for a fact. I want to get about two more fish and that's it because I want it to be a reef aquarium so all these fish must be reef safe. these are some options for my last two fish... a Bartlett's anthias, one or two of the yellow assessors or a canary fang blenny, magenta dottyback, royal gamma.(I will most likely get one of these fishes any suggestions on which one to chose that is reef safe and good with the other fish I chose. also I know some of these fishes are more aggressive so is there any fish that I should add in first or last :dance:thankyou very much

So good news and bad. The clowns are fine. The flame angel is semi-reef safe so take that into consideration but otherwise fine. The yellow tang needs a larger tank. I personally wouldn't do a mandarin in a 55 even after a year. The amount of pods these guys need is astounding. Maybe if you found one eating frozen you could try it.
The anthias needs a larger tank as well. They're schoolers and have special feeding requirements. Not easy fish. The assessor, gramma and dottyback. I'd pick one of these 3 as they would all probably fight each other. Dottybacks are jerks. The blenny is probably fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a flame angel before with my reef aquarium and it was my favorite it has never bothered any coral it was best friends with the cleaner shrimp though I would catch the shrimp cleaning him in the corner of the tank everyday...
Those yellow tangs are beautiful though I hope I can find something else like it...
Is there any way I can produce copepods without a sump so I will have a good amount?
I only wanted a blenny or gobby becuAse of their long skinny shape and bright colors... Which one would you recommend?
Is there any other fish that has a bright color that you would recommend...
I heard the Sally light foot crab will try to attack smaller fish... When I saw it at the fish store I saw it with other fish and coral and it didn't seem to bother anyone... Do you think it is a problem that I put them in first? Will they become territorial? I hope not because those are some speedy flippers and it might be impossible to catch them. What other kind of crab with this kind of body can I keep in my tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You might be able to get away with a lemon peel angel in the tank if you scratched the flame angel...that'd give you the yellow fish look you might be seeking.
You can get a reproducing population of pods in 2 liter bottles, but I've never attempted it.
I've heard rumors of sallys eating small fish, but have never seen such a thing happen and have a hard time believing it. Crabs are opportunistic animals, though I don't believe they are fast enough to catch a healthy fish it is even mentioned on LA's page for them. I just think that is one huge crab and the world's smallest fish.

Back
Top Bottom