Stocking my 29 gallon tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattt6511

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello i would like to get some info on what fish i can stock my 29 gallon tank with.. I would really like a mating pair of clowns, whast the different type of clowns i get so confused between the percula, true, false and so on, i just want the normal bright orange and white striped ones... Is a 29 gallon large enough for a mating pair????? also is there anyother small fish i can add like gobys or whatnot?? thanks
ps i have 4 damsels in there now which i will take out and im giving them to my friend with a sw tank... i know i cant keep any damsels with the clowns.

The Clowns you are talking about are Ocellaris Clowns, or False Percula Clowns. I think 30+ gallons is reccomended. I am not sure if 2 Clowns will fit but it will be tight. I know that. Unless those are the only fish you are getting, then it MIGHT be OK. HTH!

A pair of A. ocellaris (false) perculas would do well in a 29g, they stay relatively small and do not require a large territory. I also think you could add a small goby such as a citron, neon, etc. Finish it off with some snails and a cleaner shrimp and you would have a nice little system that should be easy maintenance (none of the livestock listed are messy or otherwise high bioload).

Remember to quarantine all of your new arrivals before placing them into your display tank to avoid introducing parasites or other maladies that will cause major headaches.

I have a pair of Perc. Clowns in my 29 and they are fine! They have a lot of room to roam and actually seem happy! I think like Hoops said that you could probably add a small Goby and still be OK as far as space goes. Also get about 25 Turbos, about 10-15 Nassarius snails and a dozen or so Scarlet Hermits and your set. If your not going reef you could also look at a Chocolate Chip Starfish as well ... I have one in my tank and it really adds to the tank!

Attachments

• ccs_101.jpg
    ccs_101.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 76
do i have to get a mated pair of clowns what do i do, or should i just get 2 small ones and they will turn into mated ones???

The only dwarf angel I would consider for a 29g is a C. argi (cherub).

For the clowns, yes, get two as small as possible. As they grow, they will establish dominance between them and one will mature into the larger adult female.

Do not add that many turbo snails. They are some of the largest of the cleaner snails, that need alot of food, and only should be added at about 1 snail per 20-25g.

I would not stick any dwarf angels inside a 29 gallon.

This is how I would stock a 29 gallon.

2 false perc clowns
1 shrimp goby
1 pistol shrimp
10 blue/red leg hermits
9 nassarius snails
20 astrea snails
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

You could also do a small serpent star if you wanted.

With this list you could upgrade to a reef in the future(which you will)

I agree with Hoops, you should get two small ones and let them grow together. I would recommend getting two Black and White percs if you don't mind spending a little extra $, I have one and it really is a joy to watch. Awhile back I had a regular true perc and they got along just fine, they grew up together as well. It's interesting to see an orange one and a black one swimming alongside eachother.

:) I have a 4 stripe in my tank with my clown and they are fierce! My yellow tang stands up for the clown though! =) I do plan on returning the damsel as soon as he's ich free. Good luck with your clowns! They will make a great addition, I'm sure!

Thanks guys for all your help i think i know what im doing im probably going to buy 2 small true percula clowns, 1 yellow watchman gobie, and 1 pistol shrimp, and a few blue leg crabs and snails, this sounds oky for a 29 i dont really wana overstock it but i thought this would be oky.

I also enjoy my black o. clown. His head is mostly orange but it fluctuates gradually between orange and black. I think this color makes them seem more (forgive me for being anthropomorphic) dark, brooding and mysterious. I know a lot of people want the Nemo clowns, but I'm much happier with this coloration. Just my opinion though.

IMO, u should return the damsels ASAP ur tank is done cycling. They are very aggressive and will give u lots of troubles when u add new fishes into the tank.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom