substrate change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard it suggested both ways. Personally I took it all out at once. I also took my rock out too but that's because I have coral and nems stuck on mine so you could probably just leave yours in. I mean in theory the creatures are used ti sand and all kinds of stuff in the water column. Be prepared for anything though. I syphoned out most of the water into a big container then put my rock and critters in that with the light. Then scooped out the remaining water and my old substrate into a waste container. I gave the tank a good rinse and wipe down. Then I put in my new stuff. I used caribsea arag alive hawaiian black. It comes wet so I didn't rinse it. Then put in some new water and gave the could a while to settle. I put my equipment in, then corals and rock, then fish/other mobile critters. The only thing that put up a fuss was my frogspawn. After a few hours she was back to normal. So far everything is looking better than ever and the whole process took a couple hours. Just have everything you need ready like salt water and a temporary container for the critters. Have a plan in your head and its smooth sailing. So worth it to get that CC out and get something beautiful and functional.

If I vacuum it out do I just leave the rock, fish, cuc, corals in or am I better off taking them out?, I don't want to stress them out.

I'm sure if you left them in they would survive but there is always the chance they won't. Nothing is ever a for sure thing in this hobby unfortunately haha.

I'm sure if you left them in they would survive but there is always the chance they won't. Nothing is ever a for sure thing in this hobby unfortunately haha.

Isn't that true. I'm mad I even have this coral. So I will put my corals and fish in a bucket with my tanks water and a powerhead. Then vacuum all sand out and rinse new sand in RO water then put in ziplock to submerge and funnel onto bottom. Then fill w/ new water and add live stock.

I'm pretty sure if I leave my peppermint in they will survive they are immortal. I've tried catching them with know luck.

You aren't worried about sand in the water column. You are worried about a possible nutrient spike. I would do it over a period of a few water changes, simply because I don't like any sudden changes in parameters in my system, and neither does my livestock.

You aren't worried about sand in the water column. You are worried about a possible nutrient spike. I would do it over a period of a few water changes, simply because I don't like any sudden changes in parameters in my system, and neither does my livestock.

Yes that's why I was thinking have the bed then the other half. It's only an inch anyway. I have a mesh bag that I will fill with the cc.

+1 that's why I took everything out before I touched the CC.

Back
Top Bottom