Sump Design pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonSolo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Attached is the sump design I mentioned in this earlier post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello All,

I'm a newbie to sumps and I am currently "trying" to design and contruct on for my 75 gal reef. Unforunately not much will fit into my stand. So I've opted for a two 10 gallon tank idea.

This is how I thought it will work:
Water flows from the tank into the first 10 gal, which will be a refuge. This tank will be drilled and plumped to empty into the other ten gal which will just be a sump.

Attached is a chessy microsoft paint diagram of the proposed idea, Any feedback and advice would be great. Please remember this is first design and I am very new to sumps (still reading and learning about them).

Attachments

• sump_idea.jpg
    sump_idea.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 226
Looks like your drawing is right on, sumps are really pretty simple. It's the DIY overflow that will drive you crazy if your going along those lines.

A fuge is generally an area of low flow only. Will you be able to get enough water into the sump fast enough to keep up with the return pump without flowing the water through the fuge to fast? I offer this suggestion for further consideration: You install a "y" or "t" in the overflow line and split a small line to the fuge(with a ball valve to control flow)with the remainder of the overflow running straight to the sump. Leave the line from the fuge to the sump the same.

The flow thing is a consideration, but it really does depend on the fuge size. 500 gph going through a 20 gallon fuge is alot different than 500 gph through a 5 gallon fuge. With a 10 gallon only electrikat is probably right, let half go to the fuge and the other half go straight to the sump and you won't blow everything around too much in the fuge. Good luck!

Also keep in mind that the compartment with the return pump is where evaporation will show up. If you don't have an auto top-off of some kind you may be pouring water in constantly. Try to make the return pump chamber as large as possible.

Stephen

Thats the exact set up I'm working on now, I'm trying to find the right size tank to use as my refugium that will fit under my tank.

Back
Top Bottom