Sump/Plumbing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I have a 33 gal long tank with a 20gal long sump. In the sump I am running a Mag7 submersible pump, and I have an overflow box. Both the intake and output lines are 3/4" PVC and both have Ball valves to fine tune the flow.

The problem is that the Mag7 is pumping water to the tank faster then the input can feed it. So to combat that I closed the output valve a bit to slow the water down.

What can I do to combat this problem. I don't want to restrict the flow and strain the pump. So should I add a tee with a valve and redirect some water back into the sump?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

TIA

I have a mag 7 return, but a 1 inch bulkhead in the overflow box. I tried like mad to get them to flow together. Then i turned it off for a while to do something, and when it restarted, it balanced itself out.

You can tee off the line or just leave it restricted. The slight resistance won't stress the pump any more than adding a few extra inches of hose would. It might be a better idea to get a larger overflow that will handle more water than the pump is capable of pushing. You'll get full flow to your tank and a little oopsie room in case your pump or return line developes a problem.

Back
Top Bottom