sump return issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
The tank is clear after adding the sand. Now I am noticing something I do not like seeing. The entire tank is full of microbubbles coming from the sump return. What could I do to stop this? I have redirected the flow and that did not help any.

Usually, this happens because the sump doesn't have enough water in it...I'm sure you have enough in there though. Can you give more details about exactly how it's plumbed...location of any valves, ect... Sounds like either the pump is pulling some air in somewhere or something in the line is creating cavitation resulting in all the bubbles.
Logan J

I had an issue with cavitation from my return pump when I installed my sump the first time.

This was a result of the pump pushing more water out than what the pump was pulling in. The result was an air pocket within the pump itself.

Is their a direct line from your sump to your pump? Is there a bend or anything like that?

A stubborn air pocket in the pump may be causing it, time will work it out. More likely your pump is pulling bubbles in caused by your return lines. Is the sump baffles to prevent this? Are your return lines submerged? It doesn't take much air for your pump to chop it up and send micro bubbles back to your main tank. This is a common problem in new setups and CAN be fixed.

Mark

The line is totally submerged. It is a straight 6 inch shot from sump to pump. The sump is baffled *hehe, so am I :)*

What does cavitation mean?

No valves have been installed at this time, that will be coming later. The lines are the stock ones that came with the sump with no tight bends anywhere.

Hara said:
What does cavitation mean?

Take a look at the link below. Its a rather technical explnation but I am fairly sure you will understand it.

http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/01-html/1-3.html

How submerged is it? I ask because with high power pumps it could acutally pull air into the system even if its submerged. Do you see any signs of small cyclones like a sink drain if you fill it full and then pull the plug. Maybe acutally increaseing the water level in the sump would help

The line is totally submerged. It is a straight 6 inch shot from sump to pump.
That's not the line I was talking about. I meant the return from the main tank to the sump. It should enter the sump submerged. Have a look in the sump with a flashlight and look for small bubbles in the area of the pump intake. Although the sump is baffled, it may not be adequate or efficient. It still may take a little customizng to get it right, especially when dealing with high flowrates.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom