Tank Raised Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawksview

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got my first 2 clown fish.I went with the tank raised and was just curious if these behave the same as the ones that are not tank raised.I dont know much about clowns as these are the first ones i have had.I have a watchman spotted golby that just lays there and lets my skunk shrimp clean the heck out of it.Its a riot to watch.Just curious if the clowns will do the same as they get a little older or do they shy away from the cleaners?

The thing about any fish and cleaner shrimp is that each one has a little different personality. Some wil always let the shrimp on them, some only will let the shrimp when they know they really need cleaning (don't laugh, fish know that kinda stuff). Some fish wont get near the shrimp till they get settled in, and some fish never feel comfortable about it. It is something you have no control over, just the ways they respond.
Oh and by they way, condidering they are tank raised, they are most likely either percula or ocellarias, right?

yep they are perculas.I went with the tank raised only because from what i have been reading they may be a little more durable.Dont really know if that is true or not but i am just coming off of a disaster.Had a long horned cow fish that got sick and died and it appears it took most of my tank with it.I lost a yellow and a powder blue tang and also a royal gramma basslet.For some reason the golby survived with no problem.At first i thought it may have been ich but none of the fish showed any signs of it but i treated for it just in case.Just getting started up again so these clowns will be the only fish i add for a couple months.I hope everything goes well

I wouldn't necessarily say that the tank raised clowns are more hardy than wild caught ones. But i would definately say that they are more suited for an aquarium because they were raised in a confined space. What this means is usually they are a little more tolerant of their tankmates. For example, a few tank raised clowns in a smaller tank will usually get along pretty well but if the same clowns were wild caught, they would probably tear each other up.

First off, welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!

For example, a few tank raised clowns in a smaller tank will usually get along pretty well but if the same clowns were wild caught, they would probably tear each other up.

I think a TR clown is going to have the same insticts/traits as a WC, in that once the clowns start reaching maturity, they will show beligerence to other clowns to show dominance. It is nature V nurture and in this instance Nature wins out. TR clowns are more hardy cause they are raised in the captive environment, they are used to tank conditions, they are not as sensitive to water quality and are not s proe to parasitic infestation. One of the best things about them is they will tolerate acclimation very well and should start feeding n prepared foods almost immediately, that's all they have ever known :mrgreen:

Most of the time they do not behave the same because they are never raised with anemones and dont have any coral or inverts. Theyre like grown in a farm because of the increasing demand with the release of the movie Finding Nemo

Theyre like grown in a farm because of the increasing demand with the release of the movie Finding Nemo

Clowns have been being TR for many many years, if anything more will be harvested from the ocean to provide any demand brought by the movie.

I saw a story on CNN that invovled the farms and the growing demand for regal tangs and percula clownfish. Kids across the country are going nuts about nemo and dory

But the farms don't have enough on hand and there is no way they can make them faster, the ocean is seen as a unendable source, it is truely sad.

Yeah but they have farms all over the country and the prices are hiking up for perc and regals. I once saw a perc for 20 buck and a regal for 35 bucks. its crazy

Back
Top Bottom