Think I might try an anemone!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I've wanted one for a while but am concerned about them wandering stinging everything and the fact that they are rather difficult to care for.

I think I actually need to get one if I plan keeping my 2 clowns and/or my frog spawns and alveopora. My clown host in these corals and have damaged the frogspawsn on several occasions. My alveopora is really getting annoyed and does not extend it's polyps like it used to....so I"m hoping an anemone could help solve this problem.

At work I can get a bubble tip, rose or regular, LT, Sebae or carpets. Any recomendations that would have the least chance of harming any or my corals if they decided to sit on one while I was away at work?

what kind of clowns are they that will determine which an they would host?

Your going to want a bubble tip, rose or green whatever you prefer. When there happy they stay put, and are one of the 'easier' anemones to keep. Also percs will host them, but theres no gaurentee. A carpet will get very large, and a LTA needs halides for it to do best. Where as BTA need lower light PC is fine, and they may even split.

I have halides so lighitng is not an issue, size isn't really an issue either as it will be transfered to a 200g in the next few weeks/months. Do you know if they are all about the same in terms of causing damage to corals?

IME, they are all pretty nasty, although I think carpets tend to be one of the worst. Neither my BT or Sebae anemones have moved since a few days after adding them about 10 months ago. In fact the Sebae stayed exactly were I placed it! I would go w/ something the Perc's naturally host in. Here is another compatability chart http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/marinedepotlive/AnemoneSymbioticMap.htm Good luck.

I think you can manage it Jamal-188, sixline SEEMS assumptive, and ready to doubt your competency (and first your lighting)? I have had no problem w/ the Sebae I'm keeping, I do the same for it as the BTA.

Yea jamal don't listen to me. Instead lets mix to different anemones in a tiny 29 gallon. MT79 SEEMS to know everything about anemones, and calls a year a SUCESS! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thats great that you have halides, I never assumed you didn't I was simply explaining that BTAs do fine under PC so lighting isn't so much an issue. I still recommend a BTA over the others.

Ok, I bought a purple tip for about $11.99 5 months ago. It has benn home to a Domino Damsel, a Yellow Tail Damsel, a Percula, and a Tomato Clown. The Damsel have since been removed, and the Tomato has taken sole ownership of the anemone. It has grown 2 to 3 times it's original size, and is very easy to care for. Well, there you have it. :wink:

I got pics if you want them. :wink:

Six-Line...you picked a bad time to be mouthy, I have no tolerance for it today.

Buh Bye
wink1.gif

Hey Reefrunner its cool. I completely understand, some of us are more sensitive then others.

Six-Line said:
Whats a purple tip? Condy anemone?

I think he may mean a purple tip Long tentacle...we get them in at work but they are usually huge and run about $60. Thanks for everyones input....I"m still in the planning stage so I"m not gonna rush in yet.

revhtree, pics would be great if you have time :D

I have 2 tank bred false perc clowns that have been staying in my open brain coral. I bought a rosebulb in hopes they would leave the brain alone. So far in the last week I've seen one perc in the rose but not for long. They still come back to the brain. Hopefully in time they will get more curious about the anemone. I used to have a sebae (purple tipped) that a false clown stayed in. I know this isn't much help but wanted to give my experience with false perc's. Good luck.

I have a perc, and it hasnt hosted in a bta, sebae, lta, or a carpet. The lfs said it is wild,because all their fish is wild. I love my tube anemone, even if it doesnt host, because its really easy to take car of and it is hardy. It eats by itself, all I do is throw in a few flakes and it uses its tentacles and put the food in it center

Back
Top Bottom