Thinking about adding a Refugium to my 30 Gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evilbass

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys...

Well I know several of you have sump/refugiums. I have been tossing around the idea of adding one to the 30 gallon, but wasnt sure if that was a bit to much... Ideally, I'd like to remove my canister filter, but not sure if it would be worth it with a small tank (30gal). What would you guys recommend??

Im looking at a a hang on or an in tank refugium. space being the one issue, but cost being a 2nd issue.

Let me know what you all think! :)

Evilbass said:
Hey guys...

Well I know several of you have sump/refugiums. I have been tossing around the idea of adding one to the 30 gallon, but wasnt sure if that was a bit to much... Ideally, I'd like to remove my canister filter, but not sure if it would be worth it with a small tank (30gal). What would you guys recommend??

Im looking at a a hang on or an in tank refugium. space being the one issue, but cost being a 2nd issue.

Imo If you cant get one under your dt then id go with hang over back so you dont use tank space ideally the bigger the better

Evilbass said:
Hey guys...

Id deffinately reccommend a fuge tho macro will help alot on uptaking excess nutrients

It depends on the space you have to work with, a 20g long would make a great sump / refugium, but may not fit under your setup, a 10g I don't think would really be worth the effort/cost for the amount of benefit to your tank, your cannister filter is probably better that a 10g sump.

It depends on the space you have to work with, a 20g long would make a great sump / refugium, but may not fit under your setup, a 10g I don't think would really be worth the effort/cost for the amount of benefit to your tank, your cannister filter is probably better that a 10g sump.

Interesting thought... I have a lot of people tell me that canister filters are Nitrate factories.... Id rather have a refugium with some macro to help me, then have something that is producing it....

Evilbass said:
Interesting thought... I have a lot of people tell me that canister filters are Nitrate factories.... Id rather have a refugium with some macro to help me, then have something that is producing it....

Canisters are just more maintenance if dont keep up on it it may cause nitrate issues and such i think you could set up a 10 g fuge with a hang on skimmer just overflow into one compartment put a baffle in there for water to run over to your pumps to return less maintance imo im a fan of easy lol

Back
Top Bottom